Akron at Miami today at 4...round 2 ESPN3

No…that’s the last of our problems…sure assists are good from the PG, but in this O an assist comes from just about anyone kicking it for a trey. Mehki is a top 8 assist guy, while a scoring machine when healthy.

Mehki is the only guy…other than DD when he’s playing well…that can create his own shot.

Kamari has to hit that trey, which would have made it interesting.

1 Like

I just cant believe we are this terrible. When was the last time we covered the spread. I assume vegas is adjusting the lines after every week based on our play- we havent covered since Buffalo right?

Our leading rebounder has 2.

That’s kind of my point. A good assist guy would help other players get their shot.

Covered against Western Michigan on 1/15 I believe.

Although it may have been the 3-point loss at Toledo.

That is how bad we are…what was that ICL?

With no Dalonte and DD not playing well…it’s easy to see how bad we are…we have nothing inside…only Mehki with skills off bounce at 5-8.

So that will do it…gonna end extremely ugly…Miami is going to end up 11 and 20 or so, tied for last or just ahead of Western.

This has become a somewhat comical, embarrassment…next year looking the same or worse…not much else to say, time to just completely tune Miami out.

Honestly you can hear it Bakes voice…I think he’d like to tune it out.

1 Like

Trust me he’s not the problem…the others can’t finish or shoot.

Mehki averages about 3.5 assists per game…the number 3 guy in MAC averages 4.0.

Not the point…if Mehki does not score like he did in this it’s 70 to 40.

We are who we thought we are.

We can’t be that bad, can we?

But…But…But we beat an ACC team on the road.

1 Like

Imagine how bad GT must feel about that. At the end of the game, the ACC commentators said we were going to make some noise this year. Not so much.

A sad trombone is a noise. Groans of exasperation from the fans is a noise.

1 Like

It felt like Owens was almost in tears on the radio postgame. I have met Jack and like him and it made me feel bad. But this is a really bad season

6 Likes

Playoffs! You talking about the playoffs! The playoffs!

I think a lot of us like the coaches as people. That’s the hardest part.

1 Like

I’m sure Jack is a nice person. I actually met Cooper randomly at a bowling alley several years ago, and he seemed like a nice guy, too. So yes, I do feel somewhat bad for them.

But I feel much worse for us fans who have had to put up with over a decade of an absolute CRAP product on the court. Some of us actually celebrated a 12-11 season last year since it was over .500. Simply being in the top 8 in the MAC feels like something we should hang a banner for. I don’t live in the past. I know Harper, and Devin, and Wally are gone. We don’t have to make the NCAA or NIT every year or even every other year, but we should be striving for much more than we’ve been obtaining in this era.

I don’t have a simple solution for this. I also don’t get paid to come up with one. I have spent enough money on two Miami degrees and attending many home and road games as an alum. Now that I’m in my late 30s with a family, it’s not as easy as it used to be to get up to Oxford, but I still bleed Red & White. I’ve not given up on this program, but I feel myself slipping into apathy, and I don’t like this. Fix it. Soon. For us all. Love and Honor.

5 Likes

It’s sad…but it’s also unacceptable at every other MAC school, yet the alleged flagship, mother school of the MAC to some degree, with somehow the most MAC championships and most decorated history can’t put a competitive team on the floor in the nearly 15 years?

Don’t get it…other than Millet maybe as an anchor…anyway, given up as well, doubt I’ll even take my son up (he just started getting into bball…but he’s been to more X games than Miami at this point, as there is no draw to go to a Miami game).

No longer do we have a winning record versus who in the MAC? Akron for sure, UB?, Toledo? OU has all-time (not really concerned with 1898 to 1945 though, ;-)…I’m guessing they’ve passed us bye as well?

Last time we beat Toledo and Akron, think there might be an upset in Akron somewhere, but can’t remember…total dominance by these schools and Ohio U over Miami.

Akron shot 52% and 50+ from trey against Miami…that’s like 6 games in a row the opposition is shooting 50%…how can you not at least focus on D? Jack said in his postgame that he thought our team was on point in attention to detail in the scouting? I guess maybe in the first half…but Akron shot the lights out in the second.

Jack I’m sure is a very nice guy…but shows very little emotion or inspiration from the bench and has proven that he can’t affect the game from the sideline in a positive way. He’s paid 400 to 500K…and really has not had a true winning season (DIII wins are a joke)…any other job, you are not brought back.

The worst part is…next year could look worse.

1 Like

Next year will probably look how we are playing now without Brown if not worse

The problem is that it is likely by the time Dalonte comes back we will be too buried in the standings to even make the top 8

I keep hearing we are missing a lot of guys with injuries but it is really just Brown and Beck (and Beck wasnt part of our strong November play anyway). It doesnt appear this team ever recovered from the Ohio beat down

Correct - nearly 7 games (Ohio beatdown included), where each opponent has shot north of 50% on Miami.

Although not a star, no Beck is a big blow at this point (see ELI/AMES/Harrison)…no one can grab a board.

No Ames, injury, just RS due to lack of development (no idea), hurts on the boards as well. Any other MAC coach would be playing him and getting him some time. Groce had Bandaogo out there for a bit (7-footer), grabbed three boards, an assist and block in 10 minutes (had 6 pts, 6 boards, blocks etc., in 10 minutes in first game as well).

Obviously no Dalonte…is huge. The fact that he rarely plays like Enrique (6-7 205) kid from Akron is also a problem.

Mehki still not 100%

Etzler not 100%, but maybe not the contributor that was hoped (really hard to say, his HS tape looked good then we’ve never seen).

ELI has not ever stepped up, showed occasional flashes but now is a liability and non-option it seems.

Dae Dae (no idea, up and down)

So combination of injury, COVID and complete lack of development, roster management…and this is what you get.

Harrison may be great down the road…right now still a little unsure of what he’s doing and tends to get sloppy.

Eller is not a D1 player…

Avance will be good…but a little unsure of himself as well at moment, understandable.

So if Mehki does not return (have to think he transfers for one good year somewhere), this outcome next year looks bleak…it will be a lot of young guys and guys that are trying to make the leap to playing well…and no (zero proven or developed) interior players that can do any damage when the JackO treys are not falling…