A Sad Day - Miami Hall of Famer Bob Schul Passes Away

See Miami Release:
Miami Hall of Famer Bob Schul Passes Away - Miami University RedHawks (miamiredhawks.com)

Many track fans consider the 5,000 meter and 10,000 meter runs to be the premier distance events.

However, from the first modern Olympics in 1896 to 1964, the United States had never won the gold medal until Bob Schul won. No American has won since.

8 Likes

Been thru the HOF lobby thousands of times and never knew that about Bob or the US. Hopefully when :crossed_fingers:Millett is reworked the HOF can have some digitized info on each member.

2 Likes

I was aware of Bob’s Olympic victories. Sorry to see about his death. A great Miami athlete. Hope his legacy continues for another 50 years.

1 Like

Helluva final lap. Wow.

1 Like

I remember watching that race on TV with my Dad, who was a Miami grad. We were pretty excited and yelling during the final sprint.

3 Likes

Also good call by the lead announcer as Schul came down the stretch. Incredible finish on a slow, wet track.

2 Likes

The 1964 Tokyo games were huge for American distance runners with Billy Mills winning the gold in the 10,000 m in addition to Schul’s win in the 5000 m.

4 Likes

Billy Mills is a native American Indian (Lakota Tribe).
Also, no American has won the 10,000 meters since.

2 Likes