'22 Recruiting

I was going to figure out how to make a nice little list or table for this, but I’m working so this link will have to do for now. Really happy with the commits so far. Unsure how much space we have left, but I think the staff is continuing down a path of solid recruiting classes.

5 Likes

Things have certainly quieted down on the recruiting front since the start of the school year. That’s kinda the MO of this staff though. Get a bunch of commits early in the cycle and then focus in on a few more down the stretch.

I would think we would take a QB in this class, so I’ll be a little surprised if we don’t add one before December or February.

Overall a very solid class. Love this DL class (I’m including Lyons).

1 Like

I saw Devin Johnson play last week at my sons game. He did well and I think scored 2 touchdowns. However my sons high school runs an Army offense and scored 63 points (without completing a pass) and won 63-49

2 Likes

Just based off of Senior Day, I know that is not an official source but 24 Seniors walked. So possibly 24, plus if Nick Manson transfers 25 possible scholarships.

1 Like

Based on my understanding, most of those were academic seniors rather than leaving seniors.

Devin Johnson named first team all-district (Cleveland)

2 Likes

Losing Schott was a blow. Had the looks of a nice LB.

1 Like

His brother, a decommit, was more of a loss. A solid 3* 6’4" 215 edge player who has since committed to Mich St. Probably wanted to play together and our kid did not appear prepared to compete for time and entered the transfer portal. He may plan on being recruited by an FCS program. Therefore, his brother was free to go where he wanted.

1 Like

I think he was an 83-point, three star. The portal is emerging as the new primary recruiting tool. Mel Tucker told ESPN that he has a full time staff assigned to monitor it. He said they put together an analysis of a prospect within 24 hours of seeing his name in the portal. Tucker referred to the kids he picks up as “ten look players.” He explained that if he can’t decide on a player after watching ten plays on tape he passes on them.

The new realty is it might become considerably more difficult for a high school or prep kid to get a D1 scholy right out of high school. Looks like there might be a lot more preferred walk ons who essentially try out at a college and either play quickly or jump in the portal. Kind of reminds me of how Juniors works after high school in college hockey.

1 Like

Every program should do what Mel Tucker does re transfer portal. To not do so is tantamount to recruiting malpractice in todays day and age.

1 Like

Absolutely, Blues. It’s how you keep from finding yourself in a situation with an inexperienced O-Line and no big strong hybrid Fullback/TE for short yardage situations.

1 Like

Rough day for Buffalo yesterday as they also lose their *** QB commit Mekhi Lynn. Lynn is from Cincinnati and had some good offers before committing to Buffalo. I would have to think our coaching staff will be all over this. Lynn held a Miami offer and had visited campus prior to committing. Hope he watched the game last night too

4 Likes

I would be beyond thrilled if we could get Lynn. Super talented kid. We have to find Brett’s successor (I know–too early) but it’s not. I would prefer that we not be in a spot again where a true freshman starts day one. Now, if we could get another Brett, fine. And I think Lynn, from what I’ve read and seen, would be a terrific addition to the QB room.

“Lynn also had scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Eastern Kentucky, Ball State, Toledo, Miami (Ohio), Albany, Akron and Liberty.”

UC picked up a QB commit today, so I would think that’s no longer an option for Lynn. The same goes for many of the other teams. Just seems to make a lot of sense for us and him. Hope it works out that way.

MightMU, I agree about finding Brett’s replacement. A lot of the quarterbacks we’ve taken in the last few classes have been projects. That’s fine when you don’t have an immediate need and it’s great if you hit on one. But I’d like to see someone that’s a little more polished in either this class or the next.

2 Likes

We’ve got 8 recruited QB in the room right now. None of them are more than sophomores.

Yea, but there’s always room for a really talented one, if he wants in.

1 Like

I like our RB but we really could use a bigger back. Would like to see that added to the RB room. As for QB, my philosophy is we should be signing at least one every year.

2 Likes

The year Randy Walker’s team was down to our 6th string QB–actually a 5’10" wide receiver,(Wince Morris) he did not recruit a QB the yr before. He said that after the season with so many lost, he would recruit a QB every year, regardless of the QB room.
As for a bigger RB, I absolutely agree. We need a lead fullback, big back for short distance. Our backs are talented, but small. Fine, most of the time. but there is a need that has to be filled.

1 Like

Agree about signing one QB a year but the transfer portal makes keeping the ones you want to keep on board after signing far more challenging than it was in Randy’s era.