2024 NCAA HawkTalk Bracket Game

Do not bring Ludacris into this.

I liked a potion and act a fool, but a lot of it hasn’t aged well.

March Madness always makes me miss my mother. She absolutely killed in her brackets from the 1980s through the 90s.

She had two advantages. First, she really knew basketball! Second, she was an incurable insomniac. For our younger posters, not that long ago, there wasn’t much college basketball on TV. What there was was frequently on a new cable outlet called ESPN and they specialized in late night cheap programming from the west coast.

I wish I could tell you how many times she clued to me in to some non-descript player from Pepperdine or some such who she felt would have a matchup advantage over their tournament opponent.

4 Likes

Sounds like a cool lady. She would laugh at my ineptitude but hopefully like my comedy in terms of the dumb choices I make every tourney

They might be kids’ brackets. My 7-year old picked all double digit seeds in the UConn region, then totally flipped his thinking in the other regions. His Final 4 ended up as Duquesne, Arizona, Purdue, and Marquette. My 4-year old went with UAB (blazing dragons), Michigan St. (we live in Michigan), Florida (alligators), and Tennessee (he loves orange).

1 Like

Well obviously my stay atop the standings is to be short-lived. Houston as a national champion? Illinois over Connecticut? Alabama also in the final four? That’s what I get for thinking outside the box or in this case the box and one. Don’t really see anybody getting in Connecticut’s way now. Then again, what do I know?

I assume I may win if UCONN wins it all. Otherwise, Roger will be the Champ!

Not so fast, my friend!

Wow.

Mine had a flame emoji next to it, which I believe means I’ve won. Thanks to everyone for playing!

https://x.com/jackschmelznger/status/1774778809721524656?s=12

Copying and pasting private message from Professor_Fate last month:

Eddie:

Regarding your question about prizes…We are shaking it up a bit for this Tournament.

First place receives $25
Second place receives $50
Third place receives $10,000

2 Likes

My bracket was a dumpster fire the entire tournament. Picked too many upsets, and cocked it all up. But I had Uconn over Purdue in the championship, and nearly pulled it out in a come from behind charge at the end. But Miss Miami held me off to hang on for the victory. Congrats.

2 Likes

Congrats, missmiami! I managed a top 5 finish, so there’s that.

I’m already picking Purdue next year.

2 Likes

I feel like N.C. State. After being mired in 23rd place during the early rounds, I made a surprising Cinderella run and finished 7th. Congrats to Miss Miami for winning it all!

I crashed and burned after the Sweet 16…

Congratulations to Mary!! In looking at the final results,it seems like we might put too much emphasis on the Final Four and winning the championship game. 9 of the top ten all picked UConn. Maybe 320 points is too much for that one win. Roger probably had the most wins in the tournament and he did not even make the top 5. In the future, when playing this particular bracket game, make sure your championship pick is the most likely winner.

2 Likes

That’s always been the case with this bracket game. Having as many survivors who hang in there until the elite eight and final four has always been the most rewarding approach. Three of the four teams who survive to the final four are normally very high seeds, in spite of the early upsets. Smart money follows blue bloods.

Woohoo! I’ll take the bragging rights for the year.

Thanks for playing all :sunglasses:.

8 Likes

Looks like missmiami will be buying the drinks at the Northwestern game!

2 Likes