2024 MAC Tournament

Congrats to the champs.

There are more trophies waiting to be collected.

5 Likes

This team makes me so proud to be a Miami man. So enjoyable to see them play!

6 Likes

This team is definitely one of the best I’ve seen since 1970. It may, in fact, be the best. The '73, '74 and '75 football teams are probably the best–32-1-1-- primarily because of the bowl wins and final national rankings each of those seasons.
I must admit I haven’t followed women’s sports as closely as I should have but have recognized big winners and talent. But, this team has been a blast to follow the last couple months. TOTAL domination in the conference. National record holders. Karli WILL be the POY–in the MAC and the country. It’s just a shame that they aren’t getting the pub and rankings they deserve. But that will soon change when we get into the regionals, super-regionals and the NC playoffs!!

2 Likes

Yea us x 2

1 Like

Now that softball is in the top 25, I think that just makes women’s tennis and soccer as the only teams in MU history not to get there. Softball broke that barrier this season.

2 Likes

When was women’s basketball ranked?

1 Like

I thought when Coleen Day Henderson was a senior we were. Is that not true? Maybe I’m mistaken.

They went 22-9 that season but were never ranked.

Soccer was ranked in one of the soccer specific website polls back 20 years ago or so.

Men’s soccer was in 1993-94. Ladies won the national club championship before they became D1. Haven’t had a top 25 ranking though.

1 Like

Right, never ranked in an actual poll that “counts”, but women’s soccer did crack the top 25 on a college soccer website. Got some recognition on the old HawkTalk.

Huh…I wonder what year that was, how we finished record wise and who we beat…now you’ve got me curious.

One of the years with Danielle Berkemeier and Andrea Cunningham, 2000-2002 range. Looked it up. Had to be 2002. In 2000, Miami lost in OT to Michigan in NCAA Tournament. In 2001, they beat #19 West Virginia in NCAA Tournament. Then in 2002 (Miami returned their core) they went 19-3-2, beating Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament.

Soccerbuzz was the website.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Wow I’d totally forgotten that. Was that team coached by Bobby K? He was really great. I met him a few times at Miami. Quality!

1 Like

Yes. Bobby K. I coached soccer at St Ursula Academy (2002-2011) and our teams were filled with future high-D1 players, but Bobby really never recruited any of our kids, so I never met him. Did meet a Miami assistant coach once. Tough to go recruiting during their season.

2 Likes

St. Ursula! I knew it well as a kid growing up in Cincy. Excellent sports. Volleyball, soccer, field hockey and swimming come to mind.

2 Likes

I’d like to see soccer take a jump. They have potential to win the MAC every year.

I thought the early 2000’s run would continue. No reason for Miami to not be top 3 in MAC almost every season. The talent in Ohio is excellent. Heck, so many of my SUA girls had Miami parents and wanted to go to Miami but were never recruited.

1 Like

Maybe this year.

1 Like