2024 Football Season - The quest for the CFP

Win 'em all…and there will be no doubt. F— the naysayers and the unwashed.

1 Like

Yeah. You’re right. I watched the segment again. I guess I was in disbelief that a two loss MAC team could make the CFP.

2 Likes

Never concede victory! Anyone, anywhere! We will win them all so there is no doubt who will be the qualifier for the CFP!

1 Like

Win them all and get a better seed.

2 Likes

Forgot to post Phil Steele’s points on us from his magazine, here are the big takeaways. Imo we’ll be better than he thinks, it’s probably a reflection on the difficulty for preseason analysts to project how G5 teams will do with incoming power conference transfers who didn’t play much at their previous school. Martin has certainly proven himself there.

• Picks us to finish 1st in the MAC to make the MACC again (tied with Toledo) and 11th of all G5 teams
  • Steele predicts we won’t repeat 11 wins based on harder SOS and relatively low Net YPG last year, though I’d counter that’s skewed from Brett’s injury
  • Bevelheimer picked 1st team AA; Salopek picked 3rd team AA and 1st team All-Meathead
  • We have seven on 1st team MAC (Gabbert, Holskey, Ugwu, Straider, Salopek, Bevelheimer, McDonald at PR), one on 2nd, two on 3rd, two on 4th
  • Ranked 74th in the FBS combined power poll, though 46th in projected rankings based on SOS
  • In his national position rankings our QBs are at 66, OL at 53, LB at 23 (highest of all G5), and 15th at ST (only behind EMU in G5). Among the MAC our QB, LB, and Coaching are ranked 1st, our worst unit are DBs at 6th.
  • MAC as a whole is projected ahead of C-USA again after finishing ahead in 2023
  • Northwestern picked 16th in the Big Ten, UC tied at 10th (predicting a bowl), ND to be national title contenders, and UMass will improve but implies they’ll still kinda suck
2 Likes

Bleacher Report says Brett is one of the five best G5 QB this season.

“ Gabbert’s first start for Miami came in 2019. He has since started 39 games across five seasons, tossing 59 touchdowns – at least four in each season. If he throws four again this year, he’ll join Troy’s Jarret Doege, former San José State’sChevan Cordiero and Notre Dame’s Sam Hartmanas the only modern QBs to do that in six different seasons, and he’d be the only one to do it all at the same school.”

2 Likes

Is Chuck planning on hiring Gabbert on the coaching staff next year?

1 Like

He’d be a great add.

1 Like

He’ll have a PhD by the time he’s done, so maybe

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity… Miami offers a PhD in Biology; Botany; Cellular, Molecular and Structural Biology; Chemistry; Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology; Educational Leadership; English; Geology; Microbiology; Psychology; and Social Gerontology. That’s some fairly brainy subject matter.

1 Like

Preseason coaches poll

3 Likes

Phil Steele predicts up to 9 MAC teams could become bowl eligible. Only Kent, Akron and Buffalo have very little chance.

1 Like

Off topic, but that can’t be Eastern Michigan’s logo, right?

1 Like

A lot of the logos in that figure were never resized to properly fit the figure. The EMU logo, like some of the others have been truncated on the top and bottom.

1 Like

I see it now that you say that. My mind kept visualizing Hawaii’s logo with the H and the similar green color and I couldn’t get past that I guess. Thanks.

1 Like

A headless Falcon, an earless Husky, a hornless Bull and beakless Cardinal. The beveled M stands atop of all - unscathed!

1 Like

“hopes he will be available…” week 2 bye following the NW game, too. anyone concerned?

2 Likes

I think there’s good reason for concern.

Let’s be honest, even if Chuck says his leg is 100% there’s good reason to be concerned about it getting hurt again (or Brett suffering some completely unrelated injury). I have zero doubt that he’s done everything in his power to rehab but his history is cause for concern. All the more reason we need our RBs to step up with Amos gone to take pressure off the passing game.

Having suffered a major injury to my left leg when I had four fractures–two in the tibia (shin bone) with a complete break and separation of 3/8" between the top and bottom of the bone, and two fractures on the fibula–not as serious as it is non-weight bearing.
I was facing surgery but was able to avoid it. I had to wear a non-walking cast for four months which ran from my groin to my toes. The cast was changed a few weeks after the injury due to the reduction of what was significant swelling.
The information I received from my orthop and family friends who were physicians was that the fractures actually become stronger due to the additional calcium that goes to the site of the break. I still have a bump on my leg where the fracture was located and grew stronger. I had no problems after my treatment was completed.
I know Brett’s injury was gruesome. But gruesome due to the compound fracture should not interfere with the leg once it is set properly and the injury has time to heal. He was on crutches with a boot after four weeks and just a boot after eight. Based on my experience, I think that is very good news. Plus, I have no doubt that Miami and the Gabbert family made sure he had the best care available, including access to hyperbaric oxygen therapy to aid healing.
Are there any assurances that he could reinjury the leg? I’m not a orthopod, but after this much time and treatments, I doubt it. Could he suffer an injury despite his health teams best efforts? Of course. But I think that all involved are being overly cautious to avoid any chance of a recurrence of the fracture. And I agree his history is a concern. But that’s it–just a concern. Could happen to him again because he is a physical player who plays balls out and runs when the run option is there. Thus, he may suffer another completely independent injury.
I look forward to him practicing from day one. And he will play barring some setback. We need him to accomplish what we hope to accomplish this season. But I am confident that he will play–maybe a little less aggressively and avoiding hits. But he will play and we will win!

6 Likes