2024 Football Season - The quest for the CFP

Let’s be honest, even if Chuck says his leg is 100% there’s good reason to be concerned about it getting hurt again (or Brett suffering some completely unrelated injury). I have zero doubt that he’s done everything in his power to rehab but his history is cause for concern. All the more reason we need our RBs to step up with Amos gone to take pressure off the passing game.

Having suffered a major injury to my left leg when I had four fractures–two in the tibia (shin bone) with a complete break and separation of 3/8" between the top and bottom of the bone, and two fractures on the fibula–not as serious as it is non-weight bearing.
I was facing surgery but was able to avoid it. I had to wear a non-walking cast for four months which ran from my groin to my toes. The cast was changed a few weeks after the injury due to the reduction of what was significant swelling.
The information I received from my orthop and family friends who were physicians was that the fractures actually become stronger due to the additional calcium that goes to the site of the break. I still have a bump on my leg where the fracture was located and grew stronger. I had no problems after my treatment was completed.
I know Brett’s injury was gruesome. But gruesome due to the compound fracture should not interfere with the leg once it is set properly and the injury has time to heal. He was on crutches with a boot after four weeks and just a boot after eight. Based on my experience, I think that is very good news. Plus, I have no doubt that Miami and the Gabbert family made sure he had the best care available, including access to hyperbaric oxygen therapy to aid healing.
Are there any assurances that he could reinjury the leg? I’m not a orthopod, but after this much time and treatments, I doubt it. Could he suffer an injury despite his health teams best efforts? Of course. But I think that all involved are being overly cautious to avoid any chance of a recurrence of the fracture. And I agree his history is a concern. But that’s it–just a concern. Could happen to him again because he is a physical player who plays balls out and runs when the run option is there. Thus, he may suffer another completely independent injury.
I look forward to him practicing from day one. And he will play barring some setback. We need him to accomplish what we hope to accomplish this season. But I am confident that he will play–maybe a little less aggressively and avoiding hits. But he will play and we will win!

6 Likes

I still am wondering about who backs up Brett…looks to me that Chuck should have tried to get a qualified backup (maybe he did try…or maybe he thinks the backups will be better than they showed last year).

I was wondering about that as well…

Didn’t both backups only play in the middle of a monsoon? I was at that game. Nobody could hold the ball. If that’s the only data point, I’d throw it out the window.

4 Likes

Supposedly there were a plethora of FCS QBs with playing experience in the portal who were chomping at the bit to sign with Miami. At least according to some around here.

1 Like

Hesson played the majority of the game. Kopp played a series or two mid-game but couldn’t hold onto the ball. On the broadcast I watched from home later, RG3 called him Maddox Drop.

I think we signed Gotkowski with the idea he would be Brett’s long term replacement. As a true Freshmsn, he obviously hasn’t taken a live collegiate game snap. We’ve got five QB in the room this season instead of six or seven. Nobody but Brett has any meaningful experience.

In the Portal age, no team is particularly deep at QB anymore but we’re particularly thin.

1 Like

imagine if Aveon was still around & we beat them with the same backup qb 2x

1 Like

It was the worst rain I have ever sat through and I hear your point but the App State qb had decent numbers going against our defense.

I would say backup qb is a huge risk for this year

2 Likes

I was there, too. Jive is right.

Yeah I don’t get how anyone could properly evaluate Hesson or Kopp based on that game. Kopp’s game tape at Colorado leads me to believe he can be a capable backup. If the coaches think Hesson is better, I’m fine with that too. As we witnessed last year, we don’t need the backup to come in and put the team on his shoulders to win games. The best thing for a backup QB is an experienced OL, and we have that.

3 Likes

Don’t want to start a new thread but apparently we travel the least miles of any FBS team this season for our road games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/s/dFy0g5mLaE

3 Likes

That’s probably true most seasons.

As a fan who tries to attend every game, l absolutely love this. I am very much in favor of buy games like Purdue, Indiana, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Northwestern. Close teams that we can compete against. We have never played at Tennessee, NC State, Wake Forest, or Duke.

1 Like

We have never played at Louisville in our entire history.

We have sizable alumni bases in a lot of cities outside the tight footprint we continue to play in who would love to see the RedHawks appear in their metro area. We had 800 fans show up for our game at Washington in 1984 even though we were really struggling on the field. People came from the East Coast, LA and even from Vancouver BC. We held a pregame brunch at the Sheraton with nearly 200 in attendance and chartered two buses from the hotel to Husky Stadium.

2 Likes

Big game boomer (popular twitter account) has Miami as the 14th best defense in the nation

2 Likes

Epic season. If some of the MWC teams stumble, we could absolutely be looking at a playoff spot provided we take care of business–beat NW and UC, stay close with ND and run the MAC table. Not an easy road but a doable one.

2 Likes

Memphis needs to hit a couple of roadblocks, too.

1 Like

Don’t forget Texas state, app state, Tulane among others

1 Like

Or Minnesota State University. Coach Fox is always a tough out.

2 Likes