2023 Miami Recruiting Class Announced

We are not done. They are still going after some guys that decided not to sign today and waiting until the late signing period in Feb. This includes high school seniors and hitting the portal hard. Stay tuned!

1 Like

we have Joe Humphreys that is redshift freshman
red shirt sophomore Henry hessn aveon smith Brett gabbert don’t think we get one

I’d bet most don’t find a home and will ask to come back. Some won’t be asked to come back, and others will be FCS players soon and still might not play there. This grass is greener stuff will be figured out in a few years after they figure out the portal isn’t the answer.

1 Like

We take a QB every year, like you should.

2 Likes

Just looking at this from the signed high school kids alone, I would give this class a B-/B. I know we aren’t done yet, and I am not considering transfers etc. Just these 16, solid but not spectacular class on paper. QB, interior DL (I think we need 2 here) , another bigger RB, another LB all are holes that need to be filled plus as CM said, preferred walkons at the ST positions.

Who knows. Evaluating 18 year old kids is no exact science. If they have talent, work hard and contribute, we will then complain about them being transfer targets. No win.

2 Likes

I won’t be surprised if we take another WR and an OL / OT out of the portal as well as at least one DT. I’m not sure that adding a QB is a certainty. I think that we will have 5 on scholarship next year which would be the most of a MAC school.

1 Like

On Martin’s press conference he said they were still looking for a QB for this years class

We are definitely taking a QB. You take one at least every year. As for Kobi Gorman, just pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Austin Ertl’s annoucement that he was coming back affected his decision. Maybe he thought he would be in the rotation but with Ertl, he saw that opportunity vanish and he didn’t want to wait a year.

1 Like

Maybe a stupid question, but what is Humpries reason to stay with Gabbert back? Will Smith move to WR or RB?

Maybe taking one does make sense. Who knows how long Gabbert will be there or if he can stay healthy. Smith could leave if forced into another position. Hesson or Humphreys could leave. Tarpey will be gone after next season. Edwards should graduate next year. Ries is a grad transfer and MacLeod is a Fr walk on. I guess the room could go from crowded to empty pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Agree, Get a QB with every class. Portal is a game changer. Look what happened last year at DE. We thought we were losing 2 , but lost 4 due to portal. QB room is crowded and there appears to be limited upward mobility for what may be a few talented young signal callers.

I certainly hope that Smith is moved to slot or RB and Chuck will give Humphries some meaningful snaps this year…if not, I figure he will transfer out, and may anyway if Gabbert plays two more years for us (which I sincerely doubt myself).

2 Likes

If Gabbert can stay healthy and have a great year with Miami finally having a great season Brett will hit the Portal and be picked up

2 Likes

According to 24/7 our recruiting class is the 18th best on the G5. That puts is in the top third of the G5. With the decent classes we’ve had the past two years and our ability to improve performance through the portal, I see no reason why we shouldn’t be performing at a level that would put us in the top third of the G5 next season instead of the bottom third, where we have been mired.

I think achieving that goal should be attainable with a competent in-game coaching staff next season. Once we accomplish that I think our goal ought to be to competitive for the top position in the G5 group of 63 or 64 teams - against the likes of Boise State, Fresno, Tulane, UTSA and a host of Sun Belt programs.

Are my expectations out of line?

1 Like

Miami’s first goal ought to be to become a dominant and repeating MAC Champion…if Miami can accomplish that in the MAC (an overall weak G5 conference) then they can shoot for the bigger fish in the G5 world…but first things first.

As someone once said, if you want to get better, you first have to beat the teams ahead of you.

And the kids are likely smart too.

1 Like

So our immediate goal ought to be just to be at the top of the bottom third of the G5 even though we’re recruiting talent in the top third?

I think so. Gotta walk before you can run.

High school recruiting rankings are only part of the story now. Obviously it’s important to have good incoming high school classes, but some programs are starting to prioritize the transfer portal more and more. And as we’ve learned, it goes the other way as well. So I think it’s possible that you’ll see more dramatic shifts one year to the next as G5 programs try to reshuffle their rosters every off season. It’ll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

2 Likes