2023 Football Season

Pinpoint accuracy on deep balls. Hahahahaha

I can’t say Brett is pinpoint accurate on most balls. His career completion rate is 59%……but not a knock against anyone

And if we’re worried about AVs ability to match Brett’s deep ball accuracy, then we’re having the wrong conversation. That means Chuck has made no adjustments to the game plan with a very different quarterback

3 Likes

I actually think some of AV’s best throws are deep balls…at least they were last year Mac.

Hopefully he can hit on a few to Gage and others to keep the defense honest.

1 Like

Aveon is not very accurate. He often sails the ball 5-7 yards out of bounds. He does hit a deep ball occasionally. I think he is just not a passer. However, he has new weapons at WR, specifically #10. AV is a gamer but I have to feel the DC’s from here on out will make him beat us with the pass. Should be interesting. I’m rooting for #2 now though!

5 Likes

Yeah offense needs reworked enough with the man beaters. Find those soft spots in the zone (AV’s legs will force teams out of man coverage) the deep balls are fine but less of them please (they tried to many with Brett). Time of Possession that’s what will decide the OU game stack first downs of you gotta take a FG take it. The defense is what’s gotta carry us now the offense has to make it as easy on them as possible. And I haven’t mentioned it yet GET THAT RUN GAME GOING!

No college teams have 3 QB’s ready to go. Well, if you look long enough you might find a couple, but teams try to have one guy ready to come in. I just don’t think any teams are giving first team reps to 3 guys or working hard to give the 3rd QB actual playing time. Teams are hurting if they get down to #3.

4 Likes

Mostly agree but it might be more a function of they can’t because the portal has made it impossible to stockpile now rather than that they don’t want to have three deep at QB.

He’s the man now. Keep him healthy and let’s go get ‘em!

1 Like

Aveon and Henry are our new reality. I hope they can suprise people. That would be a great honor to what Brett has done.

2 Likes

Smith’s GW toss against BSU was very good. He does have good throws but overall no.

1 Like

I hope we have something to counter the short timing throws and the longer throws. Toledo was sitting on both.

We’ve moved up to #67 in S&P, putting us right on the line for the top half of FBS. Toledo is now in the top 50.

1 Like

We were 12th among G5 programs in last week’s CBS 133 - after the Ohio win. That’s Top 20% G5 - right we’re we ought to aspire to be every year.

3 Likes

#50 in the updated 133 rankings today. #10 in the G5.

2 Likes

USA Today has us at #38 this week!

4 Likes

Also cool is that we are ranked #1 for special teams among all FBS teams in that component of the rankings. If we end the season there, I propose pulling a UCF and declaring ourselves 2023 (special teams) National Champions

3 Likes

That’s right

7 Likes

Given all the positive momentum of the past 3 days, I really, really, really hope we can cap it off with a healthy extension for CM and a bump in staff resources

2 Likes

Indeed, we are 2023 (special teams) National Champions!

1 Like

Our defense was ranked #12, offense #113.

3 Likes

Slightly Iowa-like.