2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

Colorado fires Karl Dorrell.

Who else is gonna start mailing a bunch of Chuck Martin resumes to P5 AD offices?

Colorado. Nebraska. To some extent FSU, Florida, and University of Miami. These old blue bloods never thought it could happen to them. Just because you have boosters with bucks doesn’t mean you can’t hit the skids.

Paul Chryst fired at Wisconsin for some reason.

Chryst? Jesus!

1 Like

15-10 since 2020. Badger fans don’t wanna go back to the pre-Alvarez futility, which people tend to forget since UW has been an upper-tier Big Ten program for a few decades now.

Gonna be a busy coaching carousel in the Northern US. Last season was only ND and Akron between the East Coast/Rockies above the Mason-Dixon line, we already got CU/Nebraska/Wisconsin with a few others on the way between coaches getting hired away or fired.

2 Likes

@Love_and_Honor Absolutely. People forget Wisconsin spent 20 years fighting it out with Northwestern and Indiana for the bottom rung of the Big 10.

Luke Fickell to Wisconsin? I can’t believe he won’t be considered and if he doesn’t take it what job is he waiting for?

2 Likes

Hi John, long time listener first time caller. I believe the answer is…Ohio Sfate.

1 Like

The question with Luke Fickell is always “where is his wife willing to live,” not “what is a great job opportunity.” She was the one who vetoed him ever coaching for a MAC school in Ohio, because she had to live in a big city.

In any event I expect Wisconsin to either 1) hire their DC/interim coach with express instructions to change the offense or 2) hire Lance Leipold.

2 Likes

Speaking of Lance Leipold (Leaping Lizards comes to mind…I was the clown who first said Scott Frost wouldn’t survive the first frost…so forgive the comparatively poor LL word mashing), he will get his shot in December to move to Wisconsin. Recall, he coached at Buffalo and, before that, was highly successful at Wisconsin-Whitewater with something like 6 Div III titles to his credit. Of course, if Kansas ups his pay to $7-8 MM, he might stay on the plains…but Wisky has deeper pockets and a more familiar recruiting base for LL.

2 Likes

Aw shucks. She could have had Buffalo.

1 Like

I expect to see 1) until 2) becomes available in 2-3 months. LL grew up 32 miles from Madison…and has deep WI recruiting roots…it should be an easy decision.

1 Like

@renmanaz That seems like a scenario you could put money on in Vegas.

1 Like

Kansas has money and could outbid Wisconsin. The Big 12 looks like an easier path to the playoffs than the Big 10 with Oklahoma and Texas leaving. I would also say the same goes for UC and Fickell. UC will have the money to pay him and the Big 12 is an easier path to success and the playoffs. No Oklahoma. No Texas.

1 Like

If we see the Big12 has an easier path to the playoffs, the mega powers in the B10 and SEC see it too. And makes me think they will fix that much sooner than later.

The purpose of expanding the playoffs is to expand opportunity to other conferences and teams. What has happened in college football is that a few teams and one conference are becoming so dominant that it is crushing the life out of other programs and conferences. That is why the top 6 conference champions will get automatic bids. Right now it is only 3 conferences who are getting bids. Eventually this will move to 16 and then 24 teams, which they already do in the FCS playoffs. The NCAA basketball tournament creates widespread national interest because so many conferences and teams are involved. The college football playoffs have had the opposite effect, this expansion is the first step to expanding opportunities and interest.

1 Like

I guess we disagree. The power brokers in college football are not looking to help the smaller conferences get seats at the table. Nothing in the history of college football would lead one to believe this. It’s an exclusive club that does everything for their own gain.

1 Like

Sorry, Dick but I will have to see this in reality to believe it.