2022 Coaching Search

Gotta love social media. Let Harper, Chet, et al air their grievances and get it out of their systems, probably tomorrow. Quite frankly I think those of us on this board have more invested in the current program than they do. If not, then I’m sure they’re seriously discussing the situation with Sayler and some constructive changes will be made. Until then I’ll trust Steele to create the program he thinks works best.

2 Likes

Say what you want about Ron… but Chet Mason deserves to be heard and should be heard
—-
Alumni need to feel important and feel like their opinions matter.

I hope Travis Steele reaches out to Chet and other alums to mend relationships. The process of how he was hired isn’t his fault, but the job is his now.

4 Likes

I don’t know if Steele or family helped in the Owens buyout.

However, if Harper was so concerned with Miami BB where was he in helping extricate us from Owens contract?

Was he willing to invest to get himself the job or for Henderson or anyone else?

To me, if true, it says that the new guy has an ownership mentality and was willing to invest in the program and himself to prove something.

This hire also shows me that Sayler was willing to admit to a mistake last year in extending Owens and finding a way to pay the buyout (however done) for the long-term benefit of Miami.

However it came down it is all good in my book.

4 Likes

Long time reader, first time poster. I’m an alum that grew up around the program and I remember the 98 Tennessee/Miami game in a sold out Millett like it was yesterday. I would do anything to have those days come back. The past decade has been very disappointing and my fanhood as been close to apathetic at times. As much as I would have liked a “Miami Man” like Jermaine to get a crack at the head coaching gig, I am excited for Coach Steele to come in and inject some life into what has been a lifeless program the past couple of years.

A lot has been discussed about Coach Steele’s in-laws being a factor in him getting the job and potentially donating money to help with facility upgrades but has their been any thought to them possibly being a factor when it comes to NIL as well?

4 Likes

The buyout terms were more favorable to Miami under the new contract.

Frankly, if it takes the Steele family to invest in the program than I’m all for it because Miami sure as hell hasn’t been able invest in the MBB program.

How so?

If the original contract was not renewed there would be no buyout at the end of the 5th season.

All contract terms would have been satisfied.

1 Like

Great point about the NIL stuff…this is quickly becoming as important/more important than facilities to the student athletes. I think Steele coming from X will have a great vision for where the program needs to head in that department.

I thought it was interested that in the press release Sayler mentioned that Steele had a “CEO-like vision for where Miami basketball can and should go”. I think that speaks to NIL, transfer portal and the changing face of college basketball. Steele’s experience at X should make he very capable of setting that vision especially having been a HC rather than as assistant.

2 Likes

I would guess the CEO comment refers to everything surrounding the program, not only player acquisition like the items you referred. I am sure he has a vision for the roster, his coaches, strength and conditioning, nutrition, academics, facilities, fan base, fundraising, etc. I think he wants to be overseeing everything, which will be great. The most important thing to help him do all this without getting overwhelmed is an experienced and talented coaching staff.

1 Like

Ideally, he needs an “underling” (perhaps a DBO type) who can do the legwork on many of redhawk11’s excellent suggested points of need and tee up the necessary items to seamlessly accomplish the many things expected. Let’s not lose sight of the fact that, if you pull a person in too many directions, you lose the big opportunity at hand…which is to recruit great players and win games. If you do that, the rest will be made immensely easier.

3 Likes

Agreed. I found it interesting in the tweet from Rich Rolf announcing he had an offer from Miami he gave thanks for Coach Steele and staff.

That indicates to me that Steele has some (if not all) of the pieces in place he wants to support him in his role already.

3 Likes

I wasn’t making suggestions on what I think he should do.
I was only trying to translate what “CEO type” meant.
Maybe he realized there were blindspots during his Xavier stint and he doesn’t want that to happen again. He’s taking ownership of everything.

2 Likes

Coaches can’t recruit on a lame duck contract. You’re hedging your bets and giving them an opportunity to make adjustments while trying to give them a break for the COVID year and all that. At the same time, if they don’t improve it’s a lesser buyout.

Yes, that is what coaches say and what their agents say.

I say that is BS particularly in the transfer portal era.

In any event, schools such as Miami cannot afford to buyout bad coaches.

At a minimum, there should be an exemption in the contract if the coach does not meet stated performance objectives (e.g. at least a .500 season winning pct in the 4th or 5th year of a contract.

3 Likes

Nothing against Coach Steele, I wish him nothing but the best, but I am very disappointed that Jermaine did not get the job. I know that what Tready did must have still been too fresh in some of the decision making people’s minds, but the difference between Tready and Jermaine is like night and day.