What Would You Say To a Prospective Miami Student?

Perhaps the A&S Dean can work up a “narrative” to counter this.

Miami University–Oxford has an acceptance rate of 88%. Half the applicants admitted to Miami University who submitted test scores have an SAT score between 1160 and 1370 or an ACT score of 24 and 29.

University of Cincinnati has an acceptance rate of 86%. Half the applicants admitted to University of Cincinnati who submitted test scores have an SAT score between 1160 and 1360 or an ACT score of 24 and 29.

“HLS isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. You can get there and find yourself sitting next to Ted Cruz.”

Or Claudine Gay. Oh…That’s right. She didn’t graduate from the law school.

Chuckle.

It is very hard to do that. I guess the best one can do is to compare the revenue and expenses of comparable divisions (like FSB vs. Fisher), but it can still be apples vs. oranges because of graduate programs (for example, Fisher has a solid Ph.D., MBA, and Executive MBA programs).

I believe these numbers are from Fall 2022, right?

The Fall 2023 class looks better: Admitted Students Statistics | First-Year Application Requirements | Miami University

Some relevant screenshots:

The preliminary numbers regarding Fall 2024 are looking a bit better. The numbers will likely go up a bit, but right now, FSB has an acceptance rate of 68%, and Miami is around 80%. Again, these are preliminary numbers, as decisions are still being made.

There is A LOT of room for improvement, but the numbers are slowly improving as the university recovers from COVID years.

1 Like

The A&S Dean is using a metric of outcomes (and no, I haven’t seen the data supporting his claims, for godsakes I met him for a casual lunch and really wouldn’t expect him to show up with a binder full of data) as opposed to admissions data, which can be and has been manipulated by schools to increase rankings. So again, I have to ask what is the better indicator of a school’s “worth and value”, outcomes or admission data?

3 Likes