What does the portal do

I believe that if cadet at one of the military academies leaves while they are into the 3rd or later year they are obligated to serve. I don’t think they need to pay the money back but they have to go into the service and it is not as an officer. For that reason, not many cadets leave.

Because anyone attending a military academy has signed an 8 year contract with the government. 4 years of education, covered by the military, in exchange for serving in the military for a minimum of 4 years after graduation. Try going to Miami in ROTC and deciding you don’t want to be in the military anymore. You think the military is going to say, “you never served any actual time in the military, but you go ahead and keep that partially spent GI bill.” There’s a huge difference between a rule for everyone under contract with the military and saying that should apply to all athletes of public schools? And all that while most athletic scholarships are only a 1 year guarantee from the university?

Do merit award students have to pay back their award if they transfer? No.

2 Likes

It looks like the coaches have their own portal…not called that but it’s been in operation for a long time.

Just like the players, they move up and down the coaching ladder based upon performance and needs elsewhere…so I guess what’s good for the coaches should also be good for the players.

Miami has been uniquely successful under CM in retaining coaches at an above industry average rate. But salaries do drive decisions. Moving to OU from MU is lateral (at best) until one considers that the salaries at OU may be higher, then it becomes pretty understandable. Obviously, if the 2 co- D coordinator move is true, it appears that Tim Albin is trying to save his own job by retooling his D.

There could be other things at play with the defensive coaches. I certainly got the impression that Chuck Martin was calling the defensive plays or at least heavily involved in it based on comments he made post game etc.

1 Like

Beyond the odd OU rumor? I know the article also stated that some P5 were interested in assistants.

This.

The bowl game announcers also said that Chuck Martin was the Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator.

Chuck has always been extremely hands-on with the defense. I could see either a scenario where Chuck is pushing these guys out because he doesn’t like how they are running his defense; or they are choosing to leave for an opportunity to run their own shop.

Agreed…odd move to OU though…I guess any easy one…looks the same with more hill, slightly “skunkier” smell.

2 Likes

And a river runs through it.

I’m in favor of having the athletes being like coaches and having buyouts. If a player plays X% of snaps and wants to leave and a team wants him I think the school he’s going to should pay the $$ of the scholarship used plays 10%

2 Likes

Scholarships are only guaranteed for 1 year. So the player has fulfilled their 1 year contract obligation and can move without a buyout. Just like a coach can move without a buyout if they aren’t under contract. You’re not making the argument you think you are with this one.

2 Likes

I would be curious of how many athletes lose their scholarships because of poor play. I always thought that most schools give you 4 if you stay out of trouble, etc.

Nope. There was a huge issue a couple of years ago where kids had to drop out of school after an injury because their scholarship was dropped and they couldn’t afford it any more. Scholarships are only a one year contract. A small subset of FBS schools announced they would begin offering 4 year scholarships after that, but they went silent after that.

1 Like

Calipari famously chased off scholarship players when he first arrived at UK, since he didn’t have to offer players from the previous regimes any scholarships going forward.

I’ll reserve judgement on the portal till it has been a couple of years. Currently not opposed to it, but if Miami begins to get ravaged by transfers then I will change my mind.

I would say it just makes recruiting local kids that are somewhat highly rated or that Miami feels will get there less desirable …as they could get plucked by UC, IU, UK…

Which sucks…but we don’t recruit Cincy area that hard.

The portal is going to make the P5 the Majors and G5 the Minors. Our best players are going to be “called up” and the P5 underachievers are going to be “sent down”. Advantage P5.

The portal will hurt the group of 5 schools. I don’t think that can be up for debate. The players that will drop to us won’t be as good as the players who will leave.
As much as I don’t like it, I can’t come up with a reason against it. Players deserve to have the freedom to transfer at will if they believe it helps them reach their life goals.
If money is the #1 priority for all the institutions, why shouldn’t it be for the players? The colleges and universities are selfish and greedy. Why shouldn’t the players also be selfish and greedy? The players should always do what is best for them and they should have the ability to change course whenever they want.

3 Likes

The continuing professionalism of D1 football - spiraling coaches salaries, decreasing identification of players with their institutions, an increasing need to subsidize G5 programs with student fees while student interest in the sport wains, and an infusion of questionable NIL opportunities similar to Texas’ $50k per player Offensive Line endowment - will surely spur a massive questioning by many academic institutions as to why they are even involved in D1 football. People like Malcolm Gladwell have questioned why state universities with esteemed scientific and medical research institutes continue to subsidize a sport that creates numerous health risks to young men. Those calls for universities to discontinue their involvement in D1 football have largely been ignored. But when you couple those health concerns to the issues of cost, questionable source booster money, and the increasing transitional loyalty I mentioned, a groundswell of opposition - or at least a significant reevaluation- is bound to occur.

2 Likes

My guess is that Miami tries to hold on to Division 1 football as long as it can. According to Sayler’s webcast he made it sound like Division 1 football was better financially than any other level.

The transfers stink for us fans and the impact on fandom is meaningful but in some ways I guess it will be like rooting for the Cleveland Indians (which I do) in that our best players will likely leave before you want them too and you hope the young guys behind them can play.

I dont think many schools are going to give up football for the injury factors - at least not in the foreseeable future

2 Likes