Updated Football Kickoff Times

Attendance doesn’t impact kickoff time. ESPN looks at what games are being played and spaces them out based on maximizing eyes. 6pm is typically a pretty primetime spot.

Espn sets a lot of our game times. Noon on the 17th vs UC was dictated by espnu opening. The noon and 330 times of october conference play dictated by cbs sports network and espn sublicence- but I got to believe that the fcs on espn3 was set by Miami more than tv

There arent going to be a lot of people watching on espn3- likely less than 5,000

Yep. We’ve seen Miami draw well on weeknights before - most notably in 2003, but we also had okay weeknight crowds with a lot of energy in 2010 (Temple), 2016 (CMU/Ball State), and 2017 (OU) based on the momentum we had at that point in the season. A good OOC start (FCS win + upset against at least one of UK/NU/UC) and continuing that momentum into MAC play (at least 6-2) will get people show up in November more than what we’re used to.

3 Likes

I’ll be one watching on ESPN3 as I live too far away to make it. Go MU!

On Saturday, September 3rd - Miami at Kentucky @ 7pm

ALSO on Saturday, September 3rd - Notre Dame at Ohio State @ 7:30pm

Great job, Kentucky. Unless thunderstorms are hitting Columbus at that time, not a lot of people will be watching Miami - Kentucky

Maybe ten people in the entire state of Kentuck-uh gives a crap about Ohio Bs and Brian Kelly is a Murderer so they’re probably OK with that.

1 Like

Brian Kelly is LSU’s problem now

3 Likes

Like it or not, there a lot of OSU Buckeye fans in Kentucky.

1 Like

6pm is a great time for the home opener. The big games that day are all early: Alabama/Texas at Noon, Ohio St. plays at noon, and Notre Dame plays at 2:30. The primetime game is USC/Stanford. Good scheduling to take advantage of a potentially good atmosphere, playing the first home game at dusk when all of the students will be on campus.

Yep. I agree with everything you wrote. It’s just not a good time for me. Selfish, yes, but it’s still not the time I wish.

2 Likes

There was just an article in the Columbus Dispatch about how Ohio State is upset at many of their games are noon kickoffs rather than primetime afternoon/evening games. Leave it to Miami fans to be upset at something that helps the program.

How many Columbus alumni want to go to the games? At a certain point, maybe it makes sense to work on getting a bus for us.

1 Like

Another factor is temperature- the last couple years it has been really hot - but of course you never know with weather.

1 Like

Are you saying it’s going to be hotter or cooler with this schedule. If you think cooler, I agree with you. The noon kickoff in Cincinnati will be hotter than the 6pm against Robert Morris. The next home game isn’t until October when it’ll be cooling down.

Will be interested in what the crowd is for the PBS game, assuming the weather is alright (unlike the monsoon a few years back). Will obviously be UC-heavy but hopefully we make a decent showing.

Cooler at 6 than 330

1 Like

For anyone interested by this, the first quote that came in was ~$1700 for a 28 person bus that picks up at 5pm in Columbus and returns after the conclusion of the Miami OU game.

4 Likes

Do it. Only 60 bux each with a full buss.

Luckily the Miami sideline is the shade side of PBS. So we’ve got that going for us…which is nice.

1 Like

If I can get a headcount commitment, I will book it. They’re calling me back on June 6th to discuss details.

1 Like

Jive–you live in CBus? Based on traffic getting off on I-70 on game day you, me and maybe 10 more from CBus go to the games!

1 Like