The Liberty Factor and the MTSU Decision

Liberty probably wants to up their schedule to move up as fast as possible

What I read was that Liberty needs to go from 12 non-conference games to 4 non-conference games by 2023 to join CUSA. They also cancelled a 2 home and 2 away series with Virginia (which I would imagine was a hard series for them to cancel).

We probably were just being nice although I hope we lined up a home game for 2023 before agreeing to it

4 Likes

I’m guessing we will replace 2023 with a FCS game. Already playing @Miami FL, @UMass and @UC in 2023.

2025 currently is @Wisconsin, @UC and vs Missouri (if that game even ends up happening). Guessing we’d probably add a FCS game there too.

Maybe not though, it would be fun to add a interesting OOC matchup.

Much thanks for the insights

Here are some games I’d love to see us play:
Indiana
Illinois
Vanderbilt
Syracuse
Duke
Louisville

I pick these because they would give us a chance at victory.
(This was supposed to go under future scheduling thread, not sure what happened. Oh well.)

2 Likes

Great news redskin89! Awesome! I did not want to play them anyway. Completely worthless and could care less about them. It is just like playing FCS game - everything to lose and nothing to gain and fans don’t care or know who they even are. Happy to have them off the schedule. (Early apology if I offended any Miami fans.) :laughing:

1 Like

It looks like we don’t have any FCS games scheduled for either 2023 or 2025, so we might just use those to fill the gaps on the schedule. UConn would be the obvious candidate if we want to replace it with another home and home.

1 Like

Sayler has already said he isn’t a fan of games with those kinds P5 schools. They don’t come with the kind of payday that he’s looking for.

3 Likes

I don’t have any expertise here and certainly respect his. Just seems like we could win some of these. Also, we’d make more playing Duke than paying Long Island University, no?

Probably not. Let’s say we could get a home and home with Duke. The home game we would make more than a home game with LIU definitely. We wouldn’t have to pay a guarantee and there would probably be more interest in a P5 team leading to better attendance. On the flip side, the away game (or games more likely) would be replacing a buy game where we would make a million+. It would be a net loss.

2 Likes

Interesting. I always assumed P5 games were buy games and helped us. There’s a lot of nuance to this. That and the fact that I say inappropriate things on camera is why I’m not an AD.

It’s just math.

No way man. It’s about good hair. Fresh breath. A firm yet accommodating handshake. A well tailored, but not too spendy suit. And a daily glance at the Bates portrait growing dusty on the athletic department hallway wall to remind you what never to do. Who needs the maths if you have everything else?

3 Likes

Kent State still setting the “Buy-Game” bar in the MAC with road games at Texas A&M, Iowa and Maryland this year, and stepping it up with road games at Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia next year. Bringing in that sweet coin, homies.