State of Miami University academic and sports leadership

I certainly don’t envy Miami’s leadership with the task of maintaining a healthy university. I believe athletics has been a significant factor in advancing both IC and OSU’s reputation.

Without question. If our athletics were strong and drew students, alums, and locals with enthusiasm, we’d without question see a lift in our yield (admissions statistic). No question; I don’t believe this is debatable. University leadership can work tirelessly to enhance student life, culture, and academics, but we live in a world where competitiveness where scores are kept matters.

2 Likes

let me throw an idea into the arena, at the risk of being accussed of cooking meth by some of our legacy members… :slight_smile:

what if we thought about the increased acceptance rates as a function of how the accessibility to college has dramatically increased as a result of increased government support. what if the profile of past “great” miami students now have access to institutions, not available in the past, because cost is no longer (an immediate) an issue?

so maybe the yield thing is more a function of the result of the competition that exists today due to dollars, not true academic stature?

3 Likes

My feelings are largely the same as those of Jeff. One thing I will say is that after graduation, I do see that the quality and success of younger Miamians in the business, political world, and the arts is still quite good. I see many Miamians in leadership roles and as entrepreneurs. I would like to see an elevation in the quality of our sports programs-it looks like hockey is starting to come back.

3 Likes

I’d argue that due to the increased dollars, competition has decreased.