Staff Changes

I am aware of that and hence my point.

4 Likes

@CoolPapa All anyone has to do is look of the demographics of any D1 football team - including ours - to understand why your point is valid. It’s not 1973 in Oxford anymore.

2 Likes

I agree some of blocking schemes leave a bit to be desired, but go back and look at how many times our backs run with no vision. A play is called to go to whatever hole, our backs put their head down and run right at that hole, whether if it is blocked or not. There are numerous times this year where if the back would have looked and made a move they could have gotten more yards, but they just run to a spot and use no vision. That should and could be coached out of them, regardless of what the line is doing. Also our backs get no “rhythm” going in a game, run the ball, come out and stand. I know Miami isn’t Alabama but look how they handle their backs-forget what game it was but one series their back basically ran the ball down the field play after play, he only finally come out when he took himself out. That should happen regardless of the team. Nope, Miami, one play and out.

4 Likes

I agree with your analysis of our running backs…except on rare occasions, heads down and no vision for the hole…also, it was strange because in a couple of game Mozee looked really good and quick, and then in others he seemed slow and lethargic.

Our backs also seemed hesitant too often and took forever to move forward with impetus.

Gus is the new TE coach at ETSU

7 Likes

Good for Gus. Wish him the best of luck

Quite the Crusader

2 Likes

like Gus is back.

2 Likes

This likely means the offense doesn’t change. Plays, schemes etc… I expect CM to call most plays. I like having a QB coach and not a QB/OC. I also the idea of bringing in a former player. Gus was a gamer, he is young and can relate to the players.

3 Likes

I will be surprised if CM calls the plays, he has been calling the defense since year 3. Just because they hired internally I wouldn’t say it will be the same, A LOT of the problem with Koehler was play selection-double reverse at the goal line, I doubt you will see the same play selection. Coach Welsh has been one of the best coaches on the staff for a long time, I think he will do just fine.

Be surprised if you like. I think we just added another Miami guy to staff that will be a huge asset. This off-season has gone from ehh…more of the the same to uhh…this could be fun

1 Like

Same terminology, same basic schemes. Meaning they won’t have to learn a whole new offense. I never said anything about being the same. Bringing in one of Koehler’s guys to be QB coach makes sense too. With inexperienced play callers i feel certain CM will be involved with sone play calling.

1 Like

This likely means the offense doesn’t change.

You didn’t same stays the same, but if the offense doesn’t change doesn’t that mean it will be the same

2 Likes

Good grief.

3 Likes

Is this the same Jason Simmons that played D-line for us around 96/97?

"Simmons said he was called about an opportunity Sunday and made a decision that was “best for my family.”

2 Likes

Will son follow? Maybe PWO

1 Like

No idea about his ability to coach RB’s, but it certainly strengthens our already strong recruiting lines in Indiana.

1 Like