St. Mary of the Woods

Keith Germain had 29 points, 14 rebounds and three blocked shots as Saint Mary-of-the-Woods avenged a loss to UC-Clermont with a 86-78 victory last Wednesday in nonconference action.

NAIA team, nickname Pomeroys. 5-8, 1-4 in conference. Head coach Mike Hunter in first year, was an assistant to Miami coach Rob Summers at Urbana College.

Are Pomeroys simply Potato Kings in English? (Channeling Yellow 5)

3 Likes

What is a Pomeroy?

SMWC’s teams are known as the “Pomeroys.” Their name was chosen in memory of alumni and faculty member Sister Mary Joseph Pomeroy. Sister Mary Joseph Pomeroy was a Sister of Providence who was a great advocate of athletics and physical fitness. The name “Pomeroy” is not so much a thing, but a spirit of athletic excellence and sportsmanship.

Addendum: The mascot since 1977 is a black horse named Onyx.

1 Like

I see what you did there. It was subtle yet effective.

2 Likes

SMWC will be going for a Miami trifecta sweep. They’ve already beaten MU-Hamilton and MU-Middletown this season.

2 Likes

Seeing St. Mary at The Woods in Uptown Oxford is one of the last places I’d expect her to be, but hey I guess she likes Redskin drinks.

Game notes confirm our defense is not good.

Watching them play confirms our defense is not good.

2 Likes

Harrison seeing the floor for the first time.

2 Likes

So far, the woods are taking us to the woodshed. I would imagine that changes soon.

1 Like

Miami taking control. 30-21 with 8 minutes to play in the 1st.

Moving the ball well, good defense, dominating an inferior team-as we should.

Up by 20. Shooting 65%

1 Like

We’re “out of the woods”

excellenceneverrests

3 Likes

51-25 at the half.

If a three falls for the woods and no one is there to see it…

1 Like

Lewis with a two handed dunk.

2 Likes

No Stevens or Etzler?

Etzler isn’t dressed today

What a scummy play by their #1. I don’t often call players names for what they do in the heat of a game, but the push and what he said to Mabrey after tells me he’s a POS.

Personally, i think it’s a smart play by Mabrey to egg him on and potentially draw another technical.

3 Likes