Sayler sounds off on the hockey program

Pfffftttt. Course not. Nobody is gonna pay the $1 million settlement.

At that point, it’s time to crawl on the knees and beg the Big10 to let Miami and Western Michigan in. It won’t happen, but for $#%^s sake, TRY!

I’m viewing this whole hockey situation like this. Miami will be able to make an exit, but will end up in the garbage

2 Likes

No, we’d be affiliate members of the Summit for hockey

Don’t just stand there. DO something!

1 Like

Rico would never allow it.

But my point is that we hear that we cant leave the nchc because of the big buyout but the other 4 can???

Wouldn’t this be the NCHC being absorbed by the Summit League rather than a new conference being formed? I assume exit fees wouldn’t apply.

No one’s leaving. The entire NCHC becomes part of the Summit.

1 Like

Essentially, it’s the Hotel California Syndrome. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

4 Likes

This has all the telltale signs of a B2 negotiation.

You think that an attempt to have the entire NCHC absorbed by another conference would still technically be a change in conference…be interesting to see the fine print on the exit clause.

I’d tend to think such a massive change to the conference’s structure would negate any exit fees. Anyone who wanted to leave for somewhere else would be free to.

1 Like

Why try just to be humiliated. It will NEVER happen. Notre Dame is there because hockey was just a piece on the bigger chessboard with ND. With ND essentially securing their football independence for the foreseeable future, I’m not too certain how long that will last, particularly if a couple B1G schools use their media windfall to start D1 hockey programs.

We will be the flagship of the new MAC sponsored hockey conference! :crazy_face:

I see people making a really big assumption here. There is no guarantee we would be offered an affiliate relationship with Summit. This would be quite the opportunity for them to offer Minnesota State. The league would then consist of the four current Summit schools, CC, SCSU, Duluth, and Mankato. That is as concise a footprint as one could create in western collegiate hockey and it’s bullseye is smack dab in the middle of The State of Hockey.

We may or may not be on the short list. Be careful what you wish for.

Back to lurking.

To add insult to injury, as has been reported here in other threads, now the big money of the B10 is beginning to affect coach’s salaries, a sad foreshadowing as to what may to come in the world of college hockey.

Great that Q U beat back the B10 in this year’s NCAA tournament, but despite this the B10 (and their money) could be the catalyst for a great upheaval in college hockey.

2 Likes

I’m not quite there yet. So far, we have one fallen on hard times blueblood desperate to return to relevance by throwing cash at a CCHA coach and his top assistant. I’d need to see a larger sample size of all the B1G coaches and their assistant coaching salaries first. I’m not saying it won’t happen, particularly after their new media deal starts paying out. If they start hiring away successful coaches from Denver, North Dakota or BU, that would be cause for alarm.

In any event, we can talk about them dominating college hockey when one of their schools actually wins a damned championship. Until then, they’re the B1G Pretenders.

4 Likes

Google searches:
Wisconsin: $700,000
Minnesota: 660,000
Ohio State: $496,420
Michigan State: $385,000
Michigan: $300,000* Interim salary for 22-23. Couldn’t find new terms.
Penn State: Couldn’t find
Notre Dame: Couldn’t find

North Dakota: $437,000
Colorado College: $353,000
Minn Duluth: $340,000
Western: $340,000
Omaha: $325,000
Miami: $320,000
St Cloud: Couldn’t find
Denver: Couldn’t find

The Big Ten is definitely providing upward pressure to hockey coaches salaries.