RIP Gordie Wise - WSU Basketball Public Announcer

If you’ve been to a game at Wright State, up thru the 2019 season, you were lucky to hear one of the best public announcers in college basketball. Gordie Wise was a staple on the sidelines at the scorer’s table and rang clear as a bell from the Physical Education Building to the Nutter Center.

Take some time and read the article about him. BS and MBA from Miami. Also a boys basketball state champion at Houston High School, Dick’s old stomping grounds.

As the article says, Gordie created the phrase “Raider Roundball”

RIP, Gordie. A lot of basketball fans have missed you since retirement and now will miss your presence at Raider games

1 Like

Gordie was 15 years older than I am and was living in Dayton and involved at /wright State by the time I started teaching/coaching at Houston. I knew his brother( who wrote a book on the history of Shelby County basketball) and had his nieces in class ( all excellent students and college grads, so a great family.

Houston has never won a state basketball championship, although when former RedHawk John Willoughby was coaching we did get to the state. I think the obituary mentions that he was captain of a Shelby County championship basketball team, which is the most prestigious team sport honor in Shelby County.

1 Like

A fantastic article by Mr. Archdeacon

Archdeacon: Wright State loses Gordie Wise, part of its ‘fabric’
Archdeacon: Wright State loses Gordie Wise, part of its ‘fabric’
(Via DaytonDaily)