Regionals start today

And from what I’ve heard, WMU’s athletic resources are in a worse place than Miami’s.

3 Likes

They have pretty well destroyed their basketball program and embraced hockey. Financial support for hoops has dropped to nothing, putting all their money into hockey and football.

In some ways, that makes sense for them. They are in an area where hockey is embraced as a way of life, unlike our area where basketball is far more popular. Kalamazoo has a long minor league hockey tradition, all my life as far back as I can remember the Wings were big up there.

Today’s games are on ESPN2. Two regional finals with Minnesota vs Western Michigan at 4 and Quinnipiac vs Michigan at 6:30. Winners join Denver and Minnesota State in the Frozen Four.

Well Minnesota/Minnesota State is one FF matchup.

Sounds eerily familiar…

1 Like

Well Michigan is up 4-0, so it’s looking like it will be Michigan/Denver and Minnesota/Minnesota State.

No Eastern teams. Works for me.

1 Like

And all of a sudden, Michigan’s lead is down to just 1 goal.

1 Like

So Quinnipiac has completely dominated this period and the Bobcats decided to pull the goalie with 3:57 remaining… which seemed odd since they had all of the momentum, were doing well 5-on-5, and still only trailed by one.

Michigan scored an empty-netter just 20 seconds later.

Weird decision by Quinnipiac with so much time remaining.

Michigan beats the Q 7-4

Michigan vs Denver in the other national semi-final

1 Like

Amateur hour, we held off Providence like ten minutes with the goalie pulled.

4 Likes

Like 15 minutes…most of the third I remembered…oh we used to have a hockey team…

And the tying goal was right there. Kuraly had a wide open net but the damn puck just wouldn’t settle for him.

And we haven’t sniffed the tourney since that day.

1 Like

Would have won if Coleman wasn’t sitting ( due to BS game misconduct call prior game)!

And, Barber was out from an injury trying to kill off Coleman’s 5 minute major.

As of the NCHC Frozen Faceoff tournament, Miami was playing some of the best hockey in the country.

1 Like

Been waiting for someone to provide a portal update, but since no one has, here goes:

Currently in the portal:
Chase Gresock (entered 3/25)
Monte Graham (entered 3/23)

Reportedly going into the portal (Schlossman)
Derek Daschke

Back to lurking.

1 Like

All senior class so not too suprising.
Daschke probably destined for ECHL if he were to go pro now so another year in college could benefit him.

Lurker (may I call you Lurker?) good to see you again.

1 Like

Sure, just don’t call me Rico!

Back to lurking

1 Like

I sometimes use that bit with old friends of mine. I know a guy Joe for like 30 years and occasionally I will ask if I can call him Joe. I’ll say “Joe, may I call you Joe?” He gets mad. I do that to my wife as well but she ignores me.