QB to make more than coach thanks to NIL deal

Quarterback recruit Jaden Rashada is apparently going to get paid quite handsomely as he joins the Miami Hurricanes football program.

Jeremy Crabtree of On3 reported the 4-star prospect and No. 7 quarterback in the class of 2023, per 247 Sports, agreed to a $9.5 million name, image and likeness deal with Miami booster John Ruiz and also turned down an $11 million offer from Florida’s Gator Collective.

“Jaden left millions on the table,” Michael W. Caspino, who is known as an NIL lawyer, said. “Millions. He did not pick the highest offer. He went there because he loves Miami, the coaches and the opportunity.”

Caspino also said Florida’s NIL collective needs some work in this new era of college football.

“Florida is the most dysfunctional collective in all of college football,” he said. “I plan on steering my clients away from them. From my standpoint, I never ever want to deal with them again. If it weren’t for the collective that’s completely dysfunctional at Florida, he probably would have been there.”

The collective responded with a statement saying it never communicated with the lawyer:

3 Likes

Ain’t this some unsustainable BS!

3 Likes

The U will still be stuck in 3rd gear. If I had the funds, I’d pool it so many more athletes than just one player could benefit. 9 large spread over 200 kids is still a colossal amount. And to think… I got a dining hall pass and tutoring. And it was great!

2 Likes

FWIW Rashada, Caspino and Ruiz are all denying this.

1 Like

Sharing this article in the topic. This doesn’t surprise me but I found that it’s an interesting part of NIL deals.

1 Like

Nothing new. Anna Kournikova was one of the highest paid female athletes for years despite never winning anything in singles. Until her doping scandal, Maria Sharapova always made more in endorsements than Serena Williams even though she got dominated by her on the court.

2 Likes

Add Laura Baugh and Natalie Gulbis in golf to that list.

Jan Stephenson was another on the links that parlayed looks for endorsement deals but she had made much success on the course.

Of course, there is then Olivia Dunne of LSU gymnastics that I think makes more money than any other college athlete from NIL.

I disagree. It is sustainable for those schools that wish to sustain it. For at least half the schools in college football, it is not sustainable because of lack of funds. The disparity between haves and have nots will continue to grow. The question then becomes should those not willing (able) to fund NIL collectives, simply separate themselves from the others. I think eventually that will fully happen anyway, except it will be the halves pulling the plug.

1 Like

Still in shock that Baby Gronk rizzed up Livvy.

Dunne is second to Bronny.

I see.you’re responding to my post from last year. Lol
I agree that the haves can afford it - especially the engorged B1G and SEC. But I don’t think the present structure of 130+ FBS teams on a single level can be sustained too long. G5 is growing less competitive with the P5 big $ programs every season. There are no longer even many G5-P5 bowl game matchups. Money vs lack of money is increasingly widening the gap. You are right. The big boys with money are the ones who will pull the plug. And they won’t even be nice to the poor relatives in their own conferences. Heads up Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Cal,Washington State, Kansas, Duke, Wake Forest and several others outside the big money markets.

In a mediation multi-tasking!!!

I was just about to post something like this. There are some stupid people in this country.

1 Like

Do you have stats to back up your statements that G5 is growing less competitive with the P5 big $ programs every season. While G5 programs have always seemed to win maybe 10 to 12 games over P5 teams every year, very few of those wins have been over The really big money P5 powers. G5 has never been very competitive with that group.

They always got most of the great players, so I don’t really think that has changed too much. Never have been a lot of G5 wins over the Alabamas, Ohio States, LSU’s, Oklahomas, Michigans, and Southern Cal’s. Just looking at those 6, we have one win over LSU, NIU beat Alabama, Toledo beat Michigan. That is it for the MAC. Now every year the MAC probably averages around 3 power 5 conference wins, but usually they are over NW or Rutgers or Vanderbilt type of teams. Middle Tennessee drilled Miami F last year, that tells me that it could be done.

I looked at a lot of stuff online and a lot of it’s pretty convoluted. The percentage of wins for G5 teams over P5 teams seems to have been fairly steady or has even risen a couple or three points since the turn of the century. If anything, it appears the biggest gap might be between the haves and have nots within the P5. The bottom rungs of the P5 aren’t putting up as much resistance to the Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Utah, Oregon type programs, although a few of the traditional P5 bottom feeders have actually improved a bit - Wake Forest, Oregon State, and Kansas come to mind.

G5 teams beating the less talented P5 teams might explain the slight increase in G5 wins, although some of that increase was probably because of the success of the three AAC programs and BYU that just morphed into P5 programs.

I don’t think G5 is going to voluntarily create its own tier and playoff system. But I do think the moneyed P5 folks might create a forty or fifty program league of their own and tell the lower level P5s and the G5 goodbye.

Even if you get a group of 50 or 60 teams which create their own division, they are still going to be playing us and other G5 teams because they will want more than half their games at home and if they don’t play other schools, about a fourth of the teams would turn into perennial losers How are Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, and NW going to do if they only play 12 games all against the P5 group

Why don’t the 50-60 start up NFL 2.0, quit going to college for the typical 1-2 years, leave room in the classes for actual students, play ball 24/7 and be done with it?

@1812grad - That seems to be the direction a few commissioners want to take it - creation of a mini-NFL with 40-50 “professional” football teams that only play each other …primarily as huge revenue generators for mostly public universities. It’s a phenomenon like none we’ve ever seen in American sports. And, in response to Dick’s comment, the Indiana and Northwestern - plus Wake, Duke, Washington State, Kansas and similar programs - won’t even be part of the league. In the elite conference 8-4 would likely win a division and qualify for the playoffs - much like the NFL. The fewer teams involved, the less the big boys have to share money.

1 Like