QB Injuries

With the transfer portal, I feel like this will always be an issue. Strong backups transfer out, leaving very young guys now who have no experience

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Question for anyone who was at Buffalo about our QBs:

The MAC travel squad limit is 65, I believe. It looked on TV like we had six QB on the trip: Brett (in street clothes), Aveon and Henry (dressed for immediate action) and Reis, Tarpey and Edwards (all three wearing the pastel Pennie’s).

Did anybody see Humpreys or McLeod on the sideline? If not, are we deliberately redshirting both of them or did they just not travel because of the travel limit?

I wonder who our #3 is right now.

I’d say Humphreys. He was a 3 star with multiple offers ranked #56 nationally. MacLeod was a 2 star with no offers and not ranked. I don’t see anyone listed after Henry Hesson on depth chart.

Nope. They never list more than two. You’re probably right. I’d like to see Humphreys and McLeod both get a chance to see what they can do. I’ve got a hunch McLeod played in a faster league out in the Silicon Valley than Humphreys did in rural KY. Looks like both are talented. McLeod is a PWO.

1 Like

I just watched both of their senior highlights. ( Because I really need a life!). They look very . Humphreys is bigger and faster. I really like the way they sling it though. Hopefully we get to see what they can do in a game at some point. I honestly hope Aveon can improve and gets us through. If these guys are playing it will mean we are tanking.

2 Likes

I just posted a list I found of the top 90 QB who transferred for the 2022 season. If they’re not playing or if they get benched they are on the move now. It’s now the hardest to manage position in college football.

2 Likes

Recruiting battles to get a better than most QB can be a short lived victory.

1 Like

So BG back with the program—-2 years of eligibility.

Why hasn’t Aveon entered the portal yet?

My hope is that someone has explained that his role next season will be significant and entirely related to his skill set.

1 Like

If Aveon did enter the portal, you’d expect any team that recruits and talks to him would be upfront about his expected role, and kinda doubtful it’d be QB unless they ran an option attack like the Miami teams of the mid 70’s.

P.S. unless he dropped down to FCS perhaps.

If he did enter the portal, would any P5 program want him as their starting QB? How about any G5 team? Maybe his best chance of starting is to stay here and wait for Gabbert to get hurt. Other schools might well be interested in him as a special role player, which is what many here are thinking would be best for him at Miami. If anybody watched the Hawaii bowl last night, SanDiego State took their starting safety and made him their starting QB mid season. His skill set is similar to Aveon. The announcers said their coaching staff can’t wait too see how much better he will be next year when he has the entire offseason as the starter getting the offense built around him.

My personal hope for Aveon is that he is a big part of our offense next year, including some QB time. One thing nobody has mentioned about his 5 - 4 record as a starter was just how few times he turned it over. We almost always punted it and almost never gave the opponent a short field, another reason it made our defensive stats look better.

5 Likes

Dick, appreciate your comments and certainly hope the staff figures out the best way to utilize Aveon’s skill set next season.

But, as far as turnovers are concerned, I seem to recall a number of opposition defenders drop sure Interceptions on some of Aveon’s inaccurate throws, and to me it is somewhat a matter of luck he didn’t have more interceptions with so many of his passes being thrown ahead of or behind our receivers.

When Gabert gets hurt next season Smith could be the next guy in depending on how Spring and Fall camps go.

His only offers out of high school were Coastal Carolina (in-state for him, runs a lot of option), service academies (they pass like five times per game) and FCS. From afar I like Smith’s grit and work ethic, and he clearly has fantastic athleticism. But the reality is that if his passing skills coming out of high school were decent he would’ve been recruited by a better program (and probably wouldn’t be at Miami).

1 Like

I think Aveon is much closer to being an effective qb than some on this board. His running speaks for itself. He showed excellent ball security with very few fumbles and few interceptions.

I don’t believe he will become a particularly accurate short to intermediate passer but he can become better. The step in his game that i would like to see and,i believe can be achieved, are better deep balls.

He and the staff did a solid job of recognizing one on one coverage on the outside. Too many of the ensuing throws were out of bounds and didn’t give his target a chance to come down with the ball. He was so conscientious about not throwing a pick that he wasted the opportunity. After all, an interception 40 yards downfield is called a punt.

We are going to have a big receiving corps that might lack the ability to create separation but should be able to compete for 50/50 balls. With Aveon’s running threat those opportunities will present themselves

2 Likes