Pack Goggin Oct 11/12,Fri/sat. #17 Miami VS #29 Alaska Anchorage( Pairwise) EXTEND Thru 10/17/24 for “ Thrash Robert Morris Thursday!

Can someone explain why we were #13 in pairwise before this game and now we are #24

1 Like

It’s October 13?

1 Like

The shortest answer is we’re playing bottom feeders which count for next to nothing.

The shorter answer without too much math is a) Anchorage is 0-4 and has a lousy RPI and b) we tied Ferris twice who then got drilled by Western. Our 2 wins against Anchorage not only don’t count for much, Anchorage is so bad that a portion of the RPI calculation kicks in to smooth out the results otherwise those wins would actually count against us (there’s math to prevent a win from decreasing a team’s RPI which kicked in for us). Also, teams that are now ahead of us had “higher quality wins” which boosts their RPI over ours (example is Minnesota State’s win over the Skunk Weasels in AA) even though they’ve lost some games. This is the impact of the OOWP (other opponents win percentage) part of the RPI calculation.

We all talk about how the NCHC can place 5, 6, maybe 7 teams in the NCAAs because our pairwise/RPI numbers are so good. That’s because the upper end of the league plays good OOC competition and wins more often that not. This is what happens at the opposite end of the spectrum and mathematically is why the CCHA struggles to put 2 teams in. I guess this is a real life example supporting Bonk’s point about staying in the NCHC vs. moving to the CCHA.

Fun fact…if Ferris had managed to tie the game in K’zoo we’d be at 19 and if they’d won we’d be at 9.

Edit: Here’s a link that explains a lot of this stuff. See the section “Bad Win Tweak” as that’s the impact of the Anchorage wins. Info - NCAA Tournament Pairwise Primer : College Hockey News

Back to lurking.

11 Likes

Thanks lurker you explained it really well!

1 Like

So,we need to root for Ferris and Alaska anchorage to put win streaks together against quality opponents,right?

2 Likes

In response to 1812,

a man in a military uniform is talking on a telephone with the words ooooh that 's a bingo written below

Back to lurking.

2 Likes

Got it.Thanks,Lurker.

BTW,the team is pumped up and had an excellent turnout post game for team Autograph Night!

4 Likes

I know it’s early and we’ve seen wins like this before during the non-conference slate, but I notice a huge difference on the bench during the game with Noreen versus Berge. I sit right behind the Miami bench with seats I share with friends and went to both games this weekend. I’ve never seen so much interaction between the head coach and assistant coaches or head coach and players. Noreen is constantly coaching and involved in every aspect of the game. I hope that is a sign of good things to come. Either way, I like to see it.

8 Likes

Even better. Bruno Benjamin Broomerson is the official name.

1 Like

Great job explaining.

I realize UAA is 0-4 but that will win a good number of games this season. Very well coached, defended well and I can’t remember Miami having a single breakaway or 2-on-1 all weekend.

That team just doesn’t have offensive firepower, but it looks like the coach realizes that and plays a smart, conservative system.

1 Like

Turn Up the Radio is a popular song!

1 Like

Photos from the weekend series are up!

Photos: Alaska-Anchorage at Miami – View From the Glass

Did coach express opinions to the refs? I hope so!

Oh yeah, he was very animated with the officials both weekends. He was going nuts over the too many men call at Ferris.

2 Likes

They’re using The Chain before intros this season. I like it.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about!

It worked way better than I expected.