Northwestern Kick-Off Time

7:30 PM on Big Ten Network

I didn’t expect this to be a night game. I figured this had Noon written all over it.

I was kind of hoping for noon due to prior commitments at night. Darn.

3 Likes

Looks like a maximum of 1/4 of our schedule will be played completely in daylight. And that’s not guaranteed yet.

1 Like

Well, so much for driving up for the day

1 Like

I’ll be there +1

1 Like

I’ll be there +2. It will be my first trip to Evanston since the famous Roethlisberger & Co. beat down of 2003.

2 Likes

I am hoping to see a Miami win in person at NW for the 5th time.

6 Likes

Kudos to you Dick! I was in the stadium for our 28-3 win with Prentice in ‘99 and the Big Ben led rout of 2003, but also was in attendance for our 16-6 loss on 2009.

1 Like

P.S. The ‘86 win against #8 LSU in ‘86 may have been the biggest OOC Miami upset I ever witnessed in person, but the incredible showing of Miami fans (8,000 strong at least) at the 2003 NW game was the all time greatest OOC away game I ever attended. Not only did we beat NW 44-14, I ran into numerous Miami alums at the game I hadn’t seen since my days at Miami in the late 70’s. What a grand day that was…

4 Likes

CincyKid - The first road trip upset I saw was the 1973 visit to Purdue. There weren’t a lot of Miami fans at Ross-Ade. We fell behind early, took a lead late and weathered the storm to win it. After the game I found a phone booth and called the Boar’s Head to see if they’d heard the news. The game wasn’t televised and was only available on WMOH radio in that era. Jerry Angelo - who I knew from campus and the bar - answered the phone and told me a big party had just started. Little did we know that game ignited the legendary three-year run that yielded three straight bowl wins!

2 Likes

Great story, Nescacdad!
I wasn’t fortunate enough to see a win at Ross-Ade, but I was there in 1982 when we lost 28-3. We dominated the first half, including picking off a couple of Mark Hermann’s passes, but missed FG’s and TD scoring opportunities. With Miami leadings 3-0, Hermann took Purdue down the field with two minutes left to score a TD and go ahead 7-3 at the half. I turned to my Purdue grad host and said “this game is over” as I knew how deflating it would be to our team to have dominated the game but fall behind like that.
And I was right, as we never scored again.

Also, in the last minute of the game with Purdue leading 21-3, they called a couple of timeouts so they could punch in another touchdown to make the final 28-3. I thought it was bush league and loudly said so in the stands, drawing some derision from the Boiler fans sitting around us.

2 Likes

Cincykid3,
Ditto for me at all the games you attended. Great memories. I also attended the Purdue game in ‘75 when they had Mike Pruitt. I don’t remember the final score but Miami forced a number of fumbles and held on to win a close game, beating Purdue for the third straight time at that point. Also was there for the ‘82 game and was pissed at how the coach (Jim Young I believe who ended up at Army) called TO with seconds remaining to try and diminish Miami’s short handed effort that day. Whenever I see coaches pull stuff like that, my mind goes back to that game. It still ticks me off 40 years later.

3 Likes

JDad: your memory is quite correct…it was Jim Young who was the HC of Purdue that day.
Obviously he didn’t want the final score to look like Miami was even in the game, so he pulled that bush league TO crap to score again.

1 Like

Brady Hoke pulled the same crap at Michigan against us in 2014. Called timeout with about a minute left and kicked a long FG to widen the gap. We had the longest losing streak in the country at that time.

1 Like

Cincy,
One last thing on the 82 Purdue game, you knew we wouldn’t score again at the half because Miami lost their starting QB (Chuck Hauck) early in the first and couldn’t generate any more offense. I think this this was a week after Hauck helped MU beat Kentucky.

2 Likes

JDad: I had forgotten about the Hauck injury but at the time I was probably taking that into play when I announced that O thought the game was over for Miami at halftime.

Many times I try not to inject too many specific recollections on the games as details have become fuzzy after all these years. With that said, it was my recollection that we actually intercepted 3 of Hermann’s passes and that Jim Young sat him for a couple of series until he ran back out and led them right down the field before the half…does that square with your remembrance?

I was there too. I had watched wr Johnny Wiggins play in HS at Sidney and he had a good day, as did our fullback Chuck Varner ( I think Purdue was concentrating on TB Bob Hitchens). Hope those details are correct, that is the way I remember it.

1 Like

Yes, Hitchens would have been our RB at the 1972 Purdue game.

3 Likes

Ironically, I’m traveling to Columbia, SC tomorrow to see USC vs UGA……

2 Likes