Next statue for the Cradle of Coaches

Rams are in the NFC title game. If they make it to the Super Bowl, and win, is it statue time for Miami’s own Sean McVay '08? I would say yes, if we are going by the John Harbaugh standard, but can we really cast a 36-year old in bronze? I’ve got an idea – how about a McVay “Family” statue? Sean can be on the pedestal with his grandfather, John McVay '52. He was no slouch himself – played center on the 1950 Woody Hayes Miami team that included future cradle members Bo Schembechler, John Pont, Carm Cozza, and Bill Arnsparger, for Pete’s sake. Coached in college and NFL before becoming VP of football operations with the 49ers. as VP of football operations, he helped craft 5 super bowl champions, and was named NFL Executive of the Year in 1989. He is surely the reason young Sean got hired as wide receivers coach with the Buccaneers within minutes of graduating from Miami. What do we think?

2 Likes

It would be like one body with two heads. I’m in!

3 Likes

If the Rams win the Super Bowl, he’s getting a statue and it’s the sort of marketing tactic we should be salivating over. They should already be looking at designs.

5 Likes

I always thought you got a statue if you won national coach of the year, NFL coach of the year, won a national championship, or won a super bowl.

5 Likes

The rules are too strict. I won my fantasy league. I should get a statue. Even if it’s an action figure stuck in the dirt of a parking lot. Just sayin’

Paul Dietzel was national coach of the year when he won a national championship with LSU. No statue of him.

2 Likes

You sure?

1 Like

From the Miami press release for Harbaugh’s statue:

“The statue of Harbaugh joins the existing Cradle of Coaches statues of Earl “Red” Blaik, Paul Brown, Carm Cozza, Paul Dietzel, Wilbur “Weeb” Ewbank, Ara Parseghian, John Pont and Glenn “Bo” Schembechler.”

What about Woodrow “Woody” Hayes?

Cmon Andy - you can’t miss Dietzel’s statue - it is the really tall one on the end by the student side :wink:

2 Likes

No statue as he was not a Miami grad

Sorry - no Woody statue because he didn’t attend MU as a player - I obviously suck at properly quoting other’s posts :blush:

1 Like

Np good context.

I’m old and didn/t see Dietzel’s.

1 Like

Interesting ESPN article on McVay regarding comments he has made about his future. I think he’s a gifted coach/leader, so its hard to see him walking away this early in his career. But I also don’t blame anyone who doesn’t want to go through the grind that goes into being an NFL coach. I do think he would be good as a color analyst with a little coaching. Could also see him in a GM role potentially.

2 Likes

John Madden also became a head coach in his early 30s as well, and he retired at 42. If you get that Super Bowl ring at a young age, I imagine it can take some of the drive out of a coach. Especially once you’ve got a family and see your kids growing up while barely spending any time with them. McVay will likely have tons of opportunities in broadcasting or front office positions once he chooses to step away from coaching, and those occupations are certainly far more conducive to a healthy work-family/life balance.

1 Like

GMs and front office people often work as many hours as a coach.

Who dey…

1 Like

It looks like Harbaugh’s statue was unveiled in April 2014 after winning the Super Bowl in February 2013. Probably a similar turnaround for the McVay statue?

1 Like

Sorry… I like McVay and appreciate his Miami roots, but this is a night of mourning for yet another Bengal heart-breaking Super Bowl loss. Not terribly interested in the spoils of victory for Rams personnel, including Coach McVay.

2 Likes