New ESPN CFP deal

So you’re OK with 64 teams getting 9%. Again–why did ESPN make the decision to add additional channels and espn+? Do you realize that ESPN+ has 25,200,000 subscribers at the end of the fiscal fiscal quarter of '24. That is an increase of 300,000 yoy.
It is likely that a significant percent of those subscribers are G5 school fans. B1G has B1G network and SEC has SEC network. So take those games off ESPN. Any ESPN. And ESPN broadcasts the biggest games–the ones they really want. And it isn’t Vandy or Northwestern very often. The G5 have ESPN+ as their main outlet for games. And don’t forget–MACtion is very popular or the ESPN “brains” would not broadcast them–right?

2 Likes

The G5 schools had their presidents, athletic directors, inside money people and outside consultants all look at the number that was pushed across the table at them. These are not stupid, incompetent people. They had their numbers and looked at the number that was offered to them. They took it and signed on the line that is dotted because it was the best deal they were going to get and indicative of their monetary value to the playoff.

What choice did they really have? I have no doubt they were essentially told “this is it–take it or build your own network.” Yea, it was probably the best deal they could get. They were given an offer they couldn’t refuse.

3 Likes

A lot of those people are Disney+ or Hulu subscribers getting it as part of a bundle. A lot of them joined this year specifically because of the NHL moving to ESPN.

1 Like

No, midweek MACtion is primarily cheap. That’s why ESPN broadcasts it. The TV ratings are good enough, but it’s mostly cheap inventory for ESPN.

I’m not who you were replying to, but personally while I wouldn’t say anything I’m alright it with, it does make sense to me. Realistically if the P4 teamed up without the G5 to get a CFP TV deal, the number would be about the same as it is now, not 91%. The G5 simply don’t move the needle that much.

Or recruits when they become star players end up sitting out of bowls to not get injured. How’s that trend helping sell the bowl games? Not to me.
Does ESPN call the player and tell him to suit up? Call the coach and tell him to get the kid in the game?
Call the AD?