NCAA Tournament Thread

In general there’s a big gap between the top conferences and the MAC, but we aren’t a normal MAC program. We have some significant players graduating, so not sure what it will be like moving forward, but our teams the past few years have absolutely been good enough to compete with the best teams in country.

Two years ago we lost by one after leading late in the 1-1 elimination game against #3 Virginia Tech. Last year we eliminated top 25 Kentucky and were a blown call away from forcing a winner take all game 7 against #12 Northwestern. This regular season we took (then) #1 Oklahoma to the wire on the road and beat #13 ULL.

Inopportune slumps and running into a pitcher you can’t figure out are things that happen in baseball/softball, but it doesn’t take away from how good our team was this season. Our pitching probably would have kept us from being a national title contender no matter what, but we were definitely good enough to win a regional under different circumstances.

4 Likes

I think this is probably a lesser issue than you might think. Players will go where they can win and get good coaching. Miami has proven itself to be a place where you can get those things. The bigger issue is that players prefer to stay closer to home and there tends to be more talent coming out of those warm weather states because of the fact that they’ve been able to get extra games/practices/reps growing up.

Crowell and Kumar have done a good job of identifying and developing under the radar talent from the midwest, but we’ll probably have to start recruiting more nationally to take the next step. You need to have credibility as a program to get those players to leave home, which I think we’re starting to develop at this point. I think the fact that we need those players and can now get them shows in the fact that the incoming class for next year has players from Missouri, Tennessee, and Florida.

4 Likes

Agree, especially with Softball. Most highly talented kids stay in the Southern climes close to home where they were developed. It’s a hotbed of talent because players can develop year round.

We are starting to see more and more national and even international recruiting in every sport. It’s most evident in football where our roster is now comprised of 70% out of state students. 50 years ago our football roster was comprised of 80% kids from Ohio.

Kids are traveling now more than ever. To QBurger’s point, kids are now gravitating to exceptional programs with great coaching more than ever regardless of where they are located. 2K has definitely created an exceptional program at Miami, in no way a typical MAC program. It is more akin to Gonzaga’s basketball program in the WCC.

While Southern tier teams will probably always have an advantage in warm weather sports, it is not impossible to build a program north of the 35th parallel than can compete nationally.

1 Like

While you are thinking about Miami’s successful season, you may wish to donate money to the program. I did, hoping we can hold on to our coaches and players!

2 Likes

For some reason I’m watching Tennessee-Alabama. 14th inning, 2-2.

Tennessee with 18 LOB. Alabama about ready to win it in bottom of 14.

2 games in 1!

1 Like

Bamalama knocked out Rocky Top

Rocky flop

Was really hoping I’d be wrong, but coach is off to OSU.

Should have held out for an SEC job where she’d have a realistic shot at winning a title.

1 Like

I just hope our returning players don’t follow her.

Hope isn’t a plan. They’ll poach everything they can.

1 Like