Michael Reghi

I have watched this guy for years, but the coverage of our last game takes the cake. He ignored obvious video replays on several occasions; couldn’t get our players’ names right throughout the game, and constantly joked about it as if to excuse himself; and both he and his sidekick yakked constantly during the entire game, even ignoring big plays. This latter aspect is now epidemic in sportscasting: Jay Bilas did it during the Duke-Gonzaga basketball game.

Bonus: Reghi’s partner referring to Kent’s Musolino as “Mussolini.” RME/SMH

4 Likes

Yep. Annoying. Noticed he said Mussolini was on Kent’s roster. Il Duce!

Maybe AMTRAK could hire Reghi to make the trains run on time.

He is awful. Has been his entire career. Makes me appreciate Bake even more every time I have to listen to that fool.

2 Likes

It seems to me that for these smaller profile games, ESPN should use a team made up of the commentators for each team. That way, viewers might learn something rather than having to hear talking heads like Reghi…

7 Likes

Then again, if he was really good, he probably wouldn’t be doing Tuesday night MAC games in front of 700 people.

Granted, he’s no Omar Williams, but who is.

2 Likes

Does anyone else remember Ray Motley “The Old Texan” who used to do the color commentary on our radio broadcasts in the mid to late 60s? I think it was WMOH that carried our games - we didn’t have a true radio network.

1 Like

I remember Ray Motley. Obviously a guy with no formal training. I had some friends who were broadcasting majors and heavily involved at WMUB. Sometimes they would send a student broadcaster on road trips with football and they would do play-by-play by telephone back to the studio where another student would put it on the air. The signal for WMUB barely reached the outskirts of Oxford.

1 Like

I never knew how he ever became affiliated with Miami sports. He sounded like a character from an old West Texas cowboy movie. Always called us Miamuh. Used all kinds of cliches. I bet Bake knows the back story.

1 Like

In the afternoons I could get WMOH at home. I remember kneeling in front of the radio with my ear against it so I could hear him. I clearly remember listening to the upset at Purdue in the early 60’s when Ernie Kellerman was our QB. Maybe I was in Jr hi or 6th grade.

2 Likes

Michael Reghi is the fucking goat

5 Likes

The Purdue upset was my freshman year. Goalposts torn down and taken uptown in front of the drinking establishments. I of course was studying and not involved.

1 Like

When I arrived in the Fall of ‘65 those goalposts were behind the bar at the Purity.

2 Likes

Great idea! Bake and his opposite number from our opponent could add value, interest, and real vice manufactured humor.

Bake is the GOAT, though I do have a soft spot for the Jim Barber/Rocky Boiman combo that we got for every other game between 2014 and 2018.

1 Like

Those 2 earned their pay for doing nearly every Miami home game during that time period.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Haters gonna hate. So what if he gets confused? Harry Carey didn’t even know where he was half the time. Reghi loves the conference and always has and that’s good enough for me.

4 Likes