Miami women at Western Michigan Saturday at 2:00

Game is on ESPN+. Western is 12-6 ( 6-3). Miami is 6-12 ( 2-7) and on a 5 games losing streak. Western won at Akron 57-53 on Wednesday. Western beat Miami in Oxford recently, a game in which Miami came from down 22 to cut the lead to 2 in the 4th quarter before losing. Western leads the all time series 34-33. The tough stretch of schedule continues as this will be the first of 6 games in 12 days, with 4 of them on the road.

Western is led by 5-10 soph Lauren Ross18.6/6.9, 6-2 RS senior Riley Jacobson 11.5/4.9, and 6-2 RS soph Taylor Williams 11.5/9.2.

Miami is led in virtually every stat by 5-7 jr Peyton Scott19.0ppg. In the MAC she is 5th in scoring, 6th in steals, 10th in assists, and 16th in rebounding. She has started every game, so has fr pg Ivy Wolf 10.2ppg. Fr Maddi Cluse first 16 games and Jr Amani Freeman first 9 games also started every game until being injured. RS Fr Edyn Battle has been scoring in double digits regularly for the last month and is up to 9ppg.

10-6 Miami at the 5 and under TO. We played great for 4 minutes, then she subbed and we have not looked so good since. Maddi Cluse is back and wearing a mask to protect her eye.

Best first quarter in a long time, as we are up 17-13 at Western, who is the third place team in the MAC and leads the MAC is defense.

25-22 Miami at the 5 and under TO. Edyn Battle with 10 points is leading the way. Wolf just got her second foul. We led by 8, Coach subbed Scott out, and it was down to 2 when she reentered.

A very tough end to the half as Battle missed a layup and WM hurried up court and Ross hit long 3 at the buzzer to tie the score at 32 at the half. Battle with 10 and Scott with 6 lead the scoring. We are winning the turnover battle but getting outrebounded. We have only 2 turnovers, we have harassed Western into 10.

An early Miami TO with 8 minutes to go in the third, trailing by 1. Richason picked up her 3rd foul.

At the 5 and under TO. Miami is up 46-45. Ivy Wolf has 7 points this quarter.

54-48 Miami at the end of 3. WM’s Taylor Williams picked up her 4th foul.
Scott 14, Wolf 12, Battle 12, Cluse 8. For Western, 15 for Jacobsen, 12 for 12.

TO Western with 8 minutes to go and Miami up 56-48 as Battle hit a jumper. Wolf now has 3 fouls.

2 Likes

4:45 to go, Miami up by 11. I wish we would start being more patient offensively, as we have been shooting quickly and we need to run the clock a bit.

1 Like

65-54 Miami TO…4 minutes to go.

74-61 Miami with 2 minutes left. Defense is not as good for both teams.

75-67 with 40 seconds to go. WE have played a great game, but look really bad down the stretch.

Better last 40 seconds 80 to 67 Miami. I think our best all around game of the season. After having only 11 turnovers against Toledo Wednesday, which was a whole different level, we had only 6 turnovers today. Western was leading the league in defensive average, but we got 40 points. A big part of that was getting a good shot almost every possession. Another big factor is that Western was playing their 4th game in 8 days and probably anticipated an easy game today.
When they got in a battle, they may not have had their legs and energy.
This was our first of 6 games in 12 days and we have a very quick turnaround, playing at Kent on Monday night. Certainly the bus should be be heading to Kent after the game today.

I felt like everybody played well today except our 3 centers, who all struggled. Western does have two talented 6-2 girls, so they were matched up against their best.

I would suggest watching the replay, since nobody else is commenting this afternoon. We were really well prepared and ready to go today, and looked good.

1 Like

I did not watch. I am glad we won. Still certainly not a believer.

Most complete game I’ve seen them play. Got off to a fast start for a change, and didn’t buckle in what was a tight game until the last three minutes. In fact, in the last half of the 4th quarter they extended their lead from 2 to 13. Struggled a little with the press and Western cut it to 8 but couldn’t get any closer and we hit our free throws to put them away.

Great defensive effort all day. The best defense I’ve seen them play.

2 Likes