Miami to host girls USA Hockey national development camps

This is a big deal in women’s hockey. These are the future Olympians coming to campus at age 15, 16, and 17. Great exposure for our university and program.

4 Likes

It showcases your program and facilities to potential recruits down the road. Too bad we don’t have a women’s program. My kid did the boys’ U14 NDP Camp held in Rochester, NY - representing the USA Hockey Pacific District. The place was crawling with prep and college coaches recruiting talent. Looks like they’ve moved the boys camps to Amherst, NY. I’ve been to that rink. It’s directly across the street from UB’s baseball park.

We did have a DI womens hockey club team. Has it disbanded?

We actually have two women’s club teams. One plays at the highest club level, ACHA D1, and the other plays one division lower. Our D1 club team would beat many D3 varsity teams.

The U15 girls national development camp will bring 204 players into Oxford, and not all of them will play Division 1 varsity hockey. It is not inconceivable that when they reach college-age, they might remember Miami and choose to go here.

3 Likes

Good point. I think Miami ACHA team might have either won or at least played for a national championship.

They definitely won once or twice in the last 8 years (at least I think??)

1 Like

3 time national champs

2 Likes

Here is a quick re-cap of our women’s program:

2010/2011 Played six exhibition games. 0-6.
2011/2012 First year of the program playing a full schedule, 9-12-3
2012/2013 Record 13-13-2
2013/2014 Won American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) National Championship Record 30-2-3
2014/2015 Runner-up National Championship
2015/2016 Won National Championship
2016/2017 Won National Championship
2017/2018 Lost in semi-finals of National Championship (Final Four)
2018/2019 Lost in semi-finals of National Championship (Final Four)
2019/2020 No National Championship played in March due to COVID
2020/2021 Team did not play due to University COVID restrictions
2021/2022 Did not qualify for National Championship tournament
2022/2023 Currently ranked #7 nationally.

Other things of note about the program:

Miami has had 10 women hockey players selected by USA Hockey to represent the United States on Team USA for the World University Games in 2013 (Italy, bronze medal winners), 2015 (Spain), 2017 (Kazakhstan), and 2019 (Russia, bronze medal winners). The World University Games are the second largest international competition, second only to the Olympics.

Haley Williams (Miami, class of 2015) played pro hockey in the NWHL (and played in the NWHL All Star game), the CWHL, and three years in the Russian pro league.

Miami has had two ACHA National Players of the Year, Haley Williams (2015), and Kaley Mooney (2017)

This year’s team has three countries and nine states represented. Countries: USA, Canada, Spain. States: Illinois, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Ohio, Maine, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Colorado.

1 Like

Maybe we should have a varsity women’s hockey program instead of a varsity women’s basketball program. Title IX neutral.