Miami Launching Largest Fundraising Campaign in their History

I know it’s been discussed before but can’t find it. For a Millet replacement what’s the estimated price tag?

What if they “just” ($$$!!!) rebop Millet? I was in it again Saturday at the game. It’s hardly worn out. Great bones for a major renovation for those who will. (To borrow a phrase.)

Is this latest drive expected to help pay for whatever they decide to do?

The plan isn’t to replace Millett and never has been. It’s always been to do a large renovation to the existing structure. For reference, UD arena’s overhaul was $76 million

1 Like

In reading the piece about what the drive is for, I don’t see athletics infrastructure improvement within its scope.

You got that right.

1 Like

I would assume athletics will either announce their own stand alone campaign or athletics and any infrastructure is tucked into scholarships and another area (ie: Millett could house clinical programming - when it was built I believe it was partially funded due to academic programs/ROTC being held inside).

1 Like

You’re right. Air Force ROTC was in there in the late 60s. Navy moved in there after Rowan was re-missioned. . .

1 Like

Not Miami related, but perspective…UC whole different playing table.

I used to practice putting by Rowan. Was a great secret spot to go. It was part of the old golf course I believe.

It wasn’t all that long ago (OK, it was a long time ago) when Brad Bates proclaimed to a small group of selected donors/ alums (of which I was one) that “Miami could be the next Boise.” UC, like Boise, bet big and, so far, both have won.

Of course, there was following Bates’ statement, in typical Miami ICA fashion, no follow up, no plan, no organization, no commitment…nothing except wishful thinking…

Miami’s aspirational idea was both born and died the same day.

I think the old golf course was where part of North Quad and Millett are now.

If you remember the old golf course do you remember all the alternate words to the fight song which begins “She lost her honor at Miami” and it’s relevance to the golf course?

2 Likes

Here’s an announcement in a 1928 Miami publication:

“Plans have been proposed for a golf course that will be built between Tallawanda Road and Fisher Hall. The ninth hole would finish up just behind the opening to the Varsity Athletic Field. Plans will be completed the following fall.”

Our high school band buses parked there during one of my three band days at Miami - 1964-66.

Oh I think I have some idea. Did it involve picnic blankets?

Not specifically in the verse -but it ended “on the golf green number 3.”

1 Like

That must have made #3 rather tough to putt on. Too many indentations!

1 Like

Brad was an example of a second level Exec that didn’t have the support of the CEO or Board to deliver on what his mouth was saying……those type of execs don’t last long in corp world

But he lasted a decade at Miami…not a bad gig for a second level exec who couldn’t find the support to execute his “thought.” I say thought because there never was a plan in place…only empty words. And you’re correct about the corp world…which is a gazillion miles from academia.

I often suspected he got a lot of air cover from Bo. But Brad still lasted 6 years after Bo died

One person in the lineage line at Miami told me in 2007 that he had worn out his welcome, but still lasted another 5 years

2 Likes