Miami Basketball 22-23 Discussion

I literally have no idea what to expect this season. I don’t expect us to challenge for a MAC title, but might we be a little better than last year? I do think there will be some growing pains. The start to last season was certainly fun. Hope we can recapture that feeling!

1 Like

At the least I expect we’ll see a team with defined roles, defined rotations and some evident shooting skills. I think the large turnover will actually create a sense of unity among the players that are there. I think the staff will not accept “Millett as Morgue”, and will be much more promotion minded. Anderson Mirambeaux will be MAC POTY.

6 Likes

Feeling enthused.

2 Likes

I expect us to be WAY better defensively, which I believe will ultimately lead to a better season than last year.

I would agree that the only way we are going to be better than last year is through being much more dedicated to defense. I doubt that in the first year we can replace Dae Dae and Dalonte ( although his injuries allowed him to only have a few games all year where he was fully healthy) offensively.

2 Likes

I don’t know Dick…means Lairy 2.0 gets more touches and a couple of new additions at guard/forward appear to have the combined scoring total of DD/Dalonte (based on his avail 50 to 100% during the year). Might be three guys making up DD/Dalonte’s totals, but totals nonetheless.

NO?

I tend to agree, Skins.

…also I know he’s really lean…but Kamari Williams had some moments at end of last year as well, showing signs of future contributions, and the traditional BF/C spot has a bit more scoring potential.

1 Like

Whatever we lose with Grant’s and Brown’s individual talents, I think we’ll more than make up with better team play and sound fundamentals. And I agree that the conditions are right for Lairy to have a big year.

1 Like

I’ll add coaching and depth as more reasons I think we’ll be better this year. Between injuries to Brown, Etzler, ICL and Beck and roster spots taken by Ames, Eller, McNamara and Myja White, we had very little depth to support Mekhi and Dae Dae last year.

It may take some time with a new coaching staff and so many new players, but I’m guessing a better MAC record this season.

5 Likes

Great point. The roster, top to bottom, I agree is better. Curious to see if Harrison makes any kind of leap, and of course how the newcomers adjust.

2 Likes

The talent is flat out better. We had 5 ok starters last year. And when healthy they could win. But now, we have a team. And I like the fact they are all almost net new. It’s a blank slate. I think we can win at least 15 games with this team minimum. Hopefully more. Ps, those would be 15 D1 wins.

5 Likes

Excluding non-D1 wins, we were 11-18 last year. Jack Owens was a nice guy, but it’s been 10+ seasons since we had a legit head coach.

5 Likes

Last year was probably the most disappointing team I can recall as a Miami fan. Every starter was a junior, senior or 5th year, an entire starting lineup returning from the season before and started the season with a win at Georgia Tech.

Went 10-18 the rest of the way. Terrible.

3 Likes

It will come down to an extent Lairy staying healthy to run point…for maximum success, but there appears to be depth/some talent everywhere else.

Mekhi will be our leading scorer. Who will be #2?

Safford, Lewis, Williams and Harrison, I assume, will be the top candidates.

2 Likes

I agree the scoring after lairy will be Sanford, Lewis and Williams. Mabry with 3pt shooting can sneak in there. Better possessions and improved defense will definitely improve MAC record.

Safford I think…Williams potentially, can’t decide on Mabry or Billy Smith.

Feel we have a bit of sleeper in Billy Smith.

Otherwise it might be Lairy/Safford…then four or five guys avg ~7pts, including Mitch Rylee.

These guys are doing good stuff, again (Special Olympics).

6 Likes

I talked to a guy who has been to multiple workouts, and I asked him which newcomer he was most impressed with and his answer was Mabry. I was very impressed with his video, and also his family tree. His sisters were all great players.

5 Likes

I have seldom been as impressed with the video of a HS kid as I was when I watched Mabry–several times. I believe he will be a contributor immediately and could/will end up being a terrific 2G. He is multi-talented, but his shooting is fantastic. When I watched him the first time, the name that popped into my head was Steve Alford. A terrific talent who Travis said would be an early contributor, along with Morris. Along with the two very talented PGs (Ipsaro and Cooper), plus Smith, we have the makings of a dominate backcourt.

1 Like