Marshall Game Thread 2022

Too long. We need something snappier!

Too long? Pffft, I’m putting it on T-shirts and will be selling them outside of Millett.

2 Likes

Muck Farshall seems fitting…for ole tine sake.

Cincinnati is the Queen City, I don’t care what facts Charlotte cites

1 Like

Ok. Who can argue with empirical reasoning.

I prefer “Porkopolis”.

2 Likes

That’s why the Les Nesman futures report was so important.

oh by the way…

4 Likes

While I’m happy to see our team/coaches making halftime adjustments (who knew D1 teams could actually do this?), it would be nice to have a solid first half to not put ourselves in a hole. Young team, new staff, it’s kind of to be expected, though.

Just like most are saying- I want to see progress. It would be preferable if that translates into a win on Thursday, but we need to remember we’re basically starting from scratch. If we lose but are competitive, rebound well, cut down on turnovers, and are generally competitive, I won’t be too upset.

That said, screw Marshall.

1 Like

I watched a little bit of the replay of the game between Marshall and Queens. Queens was playing its first ever D1 game as a member of the ASUN. They are not a joke program. They won 30 games last year in D2 and have the third best record in NC the past three years behind Duke and UNC. That said, Marshall didn’t look that sharp. They are long but not very muscular. Anderson should bounce their bigs around inside. And their shot selection and offensive rebounding left a lot to be desired. Toss it up tomorrow against the hairy buffalos and see what happens. Just keep improving.

1 Like

Marshall is coached by Dan D’antoni who was a star player for Marshall when I was in school in the late 60’s and Marshall was in the MAC. Program was down when he took over, but he won more games every year and by 2017-18 they made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 31 years. However, they have dropped off a bit and were only12-21 last year. This year they lost at Queens in Charlotte 83-82 and won at home over Tennessee Tech 91-65. They like to run and score a lot. Taveon Kinsey, a 6-5 Sr averaged 19ppg last year. 6-3 Sr Andrew Taylor averaged 14ppg last year. 6-1 JR Kamdyn Corfman scored 10 in the last game. For size they 6-8 JR Obinna-anochili Killen and 7-1 Michael Handlogten. Off the bench they have 6-8 FR Jacob Connor from Dayton Alter who we recruited last year.

Marshall has moved from CUSA to the Sunbelt this year. They are the northern most school in the Belt. This game can be seen on ESPN+ at 7:00 Thursday night, but we could use you in attendance.

3 Likes

After watching these guys, they definitely fit the D’Antoni bill. This will definitely be a test of the scouting report on defense. I would only worry about the 2 guards and Conner from the 3 point line. With Corfman, he’s only looking for 3s and he’s not very quick, so I wouldn’t help off of him. Kinsey wants to do his work from 15 feet in. He’s really athletic and can jump very high. They will move the ball around quickly so stopping dribble penetration will be especially important, as will making them work on defense. They don’t want to play defense long. They’re especially vulnerable to dribble penetration and ball movement. They have size, but it’s not impactful, their bigs aren’t very physical. Queens was undersized, but they outrebounded them, getting 17 offensive rebounds. This game will be a test as to how consistent we’re becoming. Can we come ready to play after some satisfaction of playing a Power 5 team tough on the road? If they can, that will be another good step forward.

2 Likes

Back when my Dad went to Davidson in the 60s, Davidson was all male and Queens was all female. Davidson guys would date the girls from Queens.

1 Like

2 Likes

Think we need a redhead in there, as I recall.

3 Likes

I remember that. Queens was like Harvard’s Ratcliffe.

Yes, just as Emily Dickinson College was to Faber College.

3 Likes

Knowledge of Good

1 Like

and Western College and Oxford College were to Miami University. Oh, the good ol’ days.

2 Likes

And Nashville Auto Diesel was to Vanderbilt. Wait what?