MACademics - US News Rankings 2022-2033

Indeed.

Several Ohio Acceptance Rates: (According To Source Below)

30% - Case
57% - OSU
79% - BG
81% - UD
84% - X
85% - UC
89% - Miami
96% - Wright State

2 Likes

Acceptance rate is rather meaningless given that the average ACT score of the last few incoming classes is now well north of 26.

2 Likes

Miami always claimed to be ā€œself screeningā€ in terms of applications received. Perhaps that is a play.

I could see MU making a conscious effort to expand but it may not come from more kids on campus. The needle schools have to now thread is virtual learning versus being on campus. Clearly more students means more money.

50% of incoming students had ACT of 28 or betterā€”88th percentile ranking

32% had 30 or betterā€”93rd percentileā€”meaning you scored better than 93% of all test takers

Miamiā€™s website for academic averages etc.

3 Likes

Awesome! Graphic evidence of an elite student body regardless of what the national rankings reflect.

1 Like

The acceptance rate is so high because the students applying are highly qualified. Lowest grade average is 3.60. Wow! Finally we are getting more students of color. Almost 20%. Long time coming!

4 Likes

MU would accept fewer students regardless of high qualifications if a higher proportion were to commit. This is called ā€œyieldā€ in college admissions speak. The trend of falling yield means that Miami has to accept a higher number of applicants for every seat to be actually filled. Perhaps the ā€œgamedā€ ratings that competing schools are receiving these days is drawing more would-be Miami students to places they would traditionally have passed on.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just the lower bound of the middle 50%, so 25% of admitted students have a GPA under 3.6.

I canā€™t imagine that anyone could love Miami more than I do. I taught on campus as a visiting professor last year and will again next year as well. I am also very involved with students on an ongoing basis. I am a little sad to say that I noticed a bit of a drop off in the quality of Miami students compared to the 1980-90s. The good/great students are every bit as impressive as the best students in years gone by. However, Miami does seem to be accepting many lower quality (read unmotivated) students than I remember there being.

I have been told that Covid devastated the pipeline that that Miami had to students in Asia. They could charge those students more and without that income, they need to admit more(
and likely less qualified) students to make up the difference .

I am still very proud of the best of Miamiā€™ā€™s students. They are amazing. The less qualified students were a source of frustration for me because they were not self-motivated. I hope Miami begins to reassess its admissions strategy not for the sake of the US News rankings but to preserve a first rate academic experience for all students.

8 Likes

Restoring the connection to Asia is quite importantā€¦as you noted, students from there are highly motivated, add diversity to the campus and pay full tuition.

Hereā€™s Miamiā€™s official take on the US News report:

The thread linked below has some good discussion. One post in particular is very relevant to Miami given our student body (edited for concision):

"Actually, pure selectivity has been getting deemphasized over the past several years in the US News rankings. The GPA/SAT/ACT combo isnā€™t weighted as heavily as before and acceptance rate and yield have been eliminated from being considered altogether. Selectivity is still the most important factor, but other social mobility metrics such as performance compared to expected outcomes are getting weighted more heavily and thatā€™s having an impact on the public university rankings in particular. For instance, a school with a larger number of Pell Grant recipients (an indicator of low income students) that graduates those Pell Grant recipients at a rate higher than expected gets a lift in the rankingsā€¦In contrast, schools that had previously been getting higher rankings by sending a lot of scholarships to high stats students (generally out-of-state students) arenā€™t getting rewarded as much anymoreā€¦

ā€¦So, US News shifting more to metrics that are measuring how well schools are graduating lower income students is a much better incentive for schools (and in turn, society overall) compared to metrics that were largely geared toward seeing how many upper middle class suburban students would enroll. To be sure, this impact is really felt the most in the rankings of public universitiesā€¦"

Like all things today - social justice before all elseā€¦

1 Like

Having now read the blog to which you reference above, the rankings landscape is quite interesting. It is always head scratching to see UC Santa Barbara and UC Davis depicted as top echelon schools while MU slides. Elites get to define the metrics that ā€œmatter,ā€ and the outside needs to chase those parameters to measure up.

Going back a few decades, I remember the ā€œMiami should go privateā€ argument. In hindsight, even if attractive, Iā€™m not certain how this could be done. The University System of Ohio, established in 2007, frankly clipped Miamiā€™s wings in significant ways. A truly lamentable chapter in the schoolā€™s history. This current ranking system, along with the State of Ohioā€™s politicization of higher education, have marginalized Miami. Despite those headwinds, MU still holds its own. We should be proud of that. And, we should all encourage leadership that is bold and forward looking to define a vision that will help Miami outperform other institutions.

1 Like

We shouldnā€™t care about these stupid meaningless U.S. News & World Report rankings, since weā€™re all multi-millionaires and billionaires! Iā€™m actually ā€œdoublyā€ rich, as are the_Chuck2112 and DevilGrad.

Well, so much for those other rankings. This one speaks volumes!

1 Like

Miami does come in at #20ā€¦so thereā€™s that. For years, I have maintained that the road to wealth at the top schools is based less on academics but more on connections made at those schools.

3 Likes

A combination of both for sure. My kid did a combination of New England junior boarding (Eaglebrook), prep (Berkshire), NESCAC (Hamilton) and UChicago Law. He got an impeccable education at all of them and still has friends from some of them whose dads are billionaires. Lots of guys from his baseball and hockey teams are financiers and lawyers.

1 Like

Although we have slipped in these rankings, I agree with Bash on this point. I get the Cincinnati Business Courier and it features top CEOā€™s, CFOā€™s and entrepreneurs in the Cincinnati area. A great number of them are Miami graduates. Cincinnati just hired a young lady and Miami alum as their City Manager. I know in our county, three of the top public officials-Auditor, Recorder, and one County Commissioner, are all Miami alums.

4 Likes