MAC Men;s tournament

Ayah 7/8 with 6 boards. Outscored Grant who took 19 shots.

Well Precious played well in his final game.

And that ends the list of positives.

2 Likes

Lairy and Grant are two of the most talented players we have ever had. On a well coached team they would be known commodities. Even Brown and Precious on a coach Coles team would have thrived. That’s the pisser.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I don’t think Charlie would’ve tolerated his starting point guard turning the ball over 5 times today (Lairy). Grant is a pesky on-ball defender, but he’s not always great fighting through screens and below average on help side. Lairy and Grant are naturally gifted but I’m not sure they would’ve fit in Charlie’s system. I’m not sure about Brown either. All 3 would have to discipline their offensive game and work harder defensively. As much as we get on the coaches for poor defense, the players need to take some pride in their defense as well. I think Precious would fit in a Charlie system. He plays hard all the time, rebounds, plays solid defense, and knocks down the mid-range jumper. I’d say the same with Williams. Williams has some Juby Johnson in him. He goes and gets rebounds and doesn’t wait for them to come to him.

3 Likes

Almost anyone on our roster would have thrived under Charlie. There would be no 5 TO guard. Lairy would be efficient AF. Guy is so talented but needs a coach who can get him there. I hope he gets a chance to play at the next level. And I hope we get a new coach. Clock ran out on Jack.

Charlie would not have recruited most of these players. Precious perhaps, probably. Not the others. If they played selfish etc in high school there is no reasonable to think Charlie would want them.

1 Like

I was/am a big CC fan, but he’s now a part of Miami history. I went to his viewing; he ain’t coming back (and I’m not trying to be funny). Analyzing what he would/wouldn’t have done is irrelevant and will only serve to frustrate us when thinking what this last decade could have been without two incompetent HCs at the helm.

Did Eli have an extra bowl of Wheaties before the game? I don’t remember him ever playing so physical.

1 Like

Charlie didn’t create, nor did he leave a great program. He became a bit of a folk hero, but was largely anonymous on his own campus (though they seemed to love him in Athens). There was plenty to criticize about his grinding Neanderthal system and his recruiting was spotty. He at least had a system and his teams had an identity. And he was a Miami man through and through.

1 Like

Charlie might have utilized a “boring” offense, but at least they were disciplined. You very rarely felt like his teams didn’t have a chance, even against ranked opponents.

2 Likes

Be that as it may be, he would have made them good.

1 Like

Think you are on to something…

IIRC, he had a run towards the end of his sophomore season where he was averaging something like 14 and 7 per 40, but we hadn’t seen that since then. Given that this might have been his final game, he might have had the motivation to bring it back.

One of the telling problems with this staff is that it seems like they’ve had a hard time coaxing the most out of the players. The only player who it feels like you can say really maximized his ability was Ayah, but he seems like the kind of guy who would bring it regardless of who the coaching staff is.

1 Like

It was always in him…last go around.

I may have been his one fan…as he has talent.
…I’m torn if it is just him and his demeanor or if this staff failed to develop and use him…probably a bit of both.

Too bad…thought with good play from Eli, Ayah, Dalonte and Beck…we’d be decent this yr…with our guards.

Lairy is one of the more talented MAC guards
…not even a mention of all conference in this system.

PS the stat about Kent and Senderoff says it all…I think in 98 Kent started their rise to challenge Miami…they’ve kept it going for 20-plus years…while Miami has died a slow death to 13 wins.

Our coaching is poor…some of the worst I’ve seen, as it’s almost non existent …the stretch in 2nd half where we kept getting opportunities, game was within 6…then Kamari launches a bad, deep trey…Kent subsequently attacks basket and lead goes to 15.

Bummer on Dalonte though…clearly hurt and that was a major factor.

Very happy I spent zero time listening or watching this team. Won’t until Miami hires a serious coach. Owens is a complete failure.

Hey guys, '84 didn’t watch or listen. Again. We’re very fortunate for this reminder.

Toledo chokes again.

It’s their signature dish.

So UT has still not made the NCAA Tournament in my lifetime. They remind me of Ohio in football. Several solid teams over the years, but a very long conference title drought.

I was a kid in Toledo in the late 70s. Those guys on those Toledo teams from about 1976-1982 were my heroes. It’s crazy it’s been 42 years since I listened on the radio to Toledo losing to Florida State in the 1980 NCAA.