MAC Bowl performance

From what I heard, WSU got $4.5M, the original bowl payout. CMU got half of that
(and I think the rest went to whoever was supposed to play). Still, at $2.5, a great payday.

1 Like

It would make sense for them to not get the full payout, but half is still rather nice.

1 Like

I don’t remember a MAC team ever beating a PAC-12 team. Anyone else? We don’t play them very often. Maybe somebody beat Colorado sometime?

1 Like

Nope, yesterday was the MAC’s first win ever against a current Pac 8/10/12 team (0-21 previously). Doesn’t include wins against teams before they joined (e.g. Toledo over Colorado when they were in the Big 12), but it’s still interesting to note.

1 Like

I just found a web site, too, L&H, which confirms that very fact. Goes back to 1979. Congrats to Central for getting the first one ever! Western hung pretty tough against USC for three quarters in the Coliseum the year after they went to the Cotton Bowl but couldn’t pull out the win. I was at the game when Miami visited Washington’s 12-1 Orange Bowl champion team in 1984. It wasn’t pretty. We should have played the Huskies this year.

1 Like

I believe in 1974 BYU win the championship. Washington would have waxed them

1 Like

Sorry 1984

Ironically, they played each other early in ‘85 season and BYU beat UW. But the Dawgs had lost a lot of their ‘84 studs. We always though the ‘84 Huskies would have beaten the ‘84 Cougars.

1 Like

In the Michigan papers (on line), I read that the Chips agreed to a reduced payout, but the terms were confidential…suspect when the bowl monies are divvied up among the conference members that number will be revealed .

P.S. Even if it’s only half of the original $2.25 MM, it could mean upwards of $100,000 for each MAC member unless the net bowl proceeds only go to MAC bowl participants.

2 Likes

I believe that the only other MAC win over a current PAC-12 member was us beating Arizona St in the Salad Bowl at the end of the 1950 season (played 1/1/1951). At the time they were in the Border Conference.

I think it’s just split among bowl participants so that everyone can recoup their costs.

3 Likes

Any idea of how much money the MAC got for its 8 bowl teams? Or each individual team?

not sure, but pretty sure it get’s distributed evenly?

Has to be in the 5 to 6 million range…so maybe 500K a team, based on CMU bump?

1 Like