Interesting article about UC: "UC shatters enrollment record"

By this logic, “UC has 50K and Miami has less than 20K so UC is better” that would mean UC is better than Stanford which only has about 7600 students.

As to the rest of this discussion, I have many thoughts as we are now parents of an out of state Miami freshman who moves in this week. And for those that don’t know, out of state Miami tuition with room and board is 60K a year.

3 Likes

Always a pleasure. We will soon have a budget discussion. I will keep you updated in case you are interested.

1 Like

Given that the socio-economic background of Miami’s student body skews extremely affluent, I think that has to be the driving factor in getting kids out in four years.

Take two kids with the same grades and test scores. One of them is a first generation college student and is Pell Grant eligible. The other comes from a family with a 200K income and both parents are college grads. I know how I’m betting on who gets out in four years and who needs five or six.

2 Likes

Miami is seriously playing catch up in growing its STEM majors and enrollment. For too long, it sat back and was content to let Farmer and the College of Education drive the bus. I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess some see R1 status as necessary to attract STEM faculty and grow the reputation of science and engineering majors.

Agree. Quality >>> Quantity. If schools like the B10 or UCalifornia campuses can do both, good for them. Miami, however, shouldn’t sacrifice quality to grow enrollment.

Please remember UC requires a majority of their students to co-op though their time on campus and that puts them at 5-6 years

4 Likes

I think the 6 year grad rate still skews highly in Miami’s favor.

According to this site, it’s 83% to 73%, so they close the gap significantly, and that’s with a much higher percentage of Pell Grant and first generation students and lower incoming stats for their students (28 vs. 26 average ACT).

Good point. Rice, Notre Dame, Tulane, Vanderbilt and a host of other elite schools skew smaller, as well.

I just ran Miami’s cost of attendance calculator for an out of state freshman student in a family of three with a family income between $60,000-70,000. Appears that student would qualify for about $22,000 in needs based grants. That would bring the cost down to $36,000 for a middle-income out of stater.

So slightly more than half the family’s annual income. Sounds feasible.

Also all those schools mentioned are elite private universities with high to very high per-student high endowments. Miami is a middle sized public university with a decent, but not game changing, endowment. Not apples-to-apples comparison.

If I only had an income of $60-70k I don’t think I’d be trying to send my kid to an out of state public university. If they were an academic hotshot I’d shoot for either the top in-state university or an elite private school with lots of needs- based cash - or if they’re a genius and live in Wyoming or South Dakota, I’d have them apply to one of the high Ivy schools where kids in that income range go free.

I’m surprised Miami’s rather high out-of-state price point hasn’t hurt us with non-Ohio applicants. But it seems we’re still quite popular with kids from places like Carmel, Fishers, Winnetka, Oak Park, Birmingham and Grosse Pointe.

Top notch academic kids where I live here in NC have a bunch of nice options. UNC is cheap and is one of the top national universities, public or private. Davidson and Wake Forest are elite and provide substantial aid. And Duke has lots of money and is highly elite academically. Oddly, Ohio doesn’t have that range of options.

Plus, they are investing big money ($100 M) in student-housing development. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2023/08/22/uc-student-housing-project-design-uptown.html

I can only guess they are overspending and issuing bonds. I truly hope UC does not end up like WVU.

WV-UC?
What was the UC tab on their indoor athletic facility?

I’m more concerned that in-state tuition is 40% higher (16,704 to 11,936) than OSU. If you really want to hone in on why Miami has a 17% yield, that might be the place to start. Columbus paper said that among Ohio kids with acceptances to both schools and who end up at one of the two, 90% end up at OSU. That’s a battle in which Miami needs to do better.

Let me be honest, as I can speak from live, right-to-the-moment experience. My daughter could have gone absolutely free to Mizzou. Full ride. The scholarship they offered her covered everything. Her best friend is going to Mizzou. But she had no interest. Every other school she applied to and got in was either private (Washington University, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Elon) or out-of-state public (Indiana, Miami). So we were/are looking at a high tuition bill either way, even with the scholarships she was offered. We talked to her about Mizzou, as that would have left her entire 529 plan for graduate school if she chose/chooses to go that way. But that is not what she wanted to do, so graduate school will be almost entirely on her. We had a long discussion about that as I am pushing 59 and my wife just turned 58, so closing in on retirement when she graduates from Miami. Personally, I think college tuition is ridiculous. And I am saying that with a mother who is a retired professor at Purdue, and a father who taught college part-time his whole life. We are above that family income mentioned above of 60-70K, but even with that, this Miami education is going to be a bitch to pay. Just being honest, and I am open to any questions.

2 Likes

At a $58k little Ivy, we got about $39k a year in needs-based grants. I contributed about $12 a year and he took out student loans for the balance.

When I entered Miami in the fall of ‘66, I paid less in tuition than if I had gone to Purdue or IU & I was a Hoosier native! Unbelievable the cost of college these days.
Of course the state of Ohio contributes very little to Miami compared to 60 years ago.

2 Likes

Damn….ROTC scholarship!

1 Like

We are going to be strongly encouraging our kids to go the UC or Cal State route. Especially because there are going to be four of them come December. Either Miami or Georgetown (my wife’s alma mater) would be great, but in-state tuition at California public universities is a hell of a deal.

3 Likes

Maybe a byproduct of the type of people I largely interacted with, but when at Miami I don’t think I knew many people who were paying full price, out of state or in state. Lots of merit scholarships and some need based aid. And for many, flagship in state schools (Michigan/Illinois) are expensive enough to make Miami with some aid an attractive option.

4 Likes