Indiana State game was a wakeup call

F bombs are common among the under 30 (40??) crowd. Walk down any crowded sidewalk (campus, city business district) and if there is a small group talking among themselves, you are likely to hear F bombs galore. Not in anger, just like they use “very” or “really.” Not just men. Just as common with the women. Somewhat surprising to this 50+er, but that’s the way the youngsters talk. I work in the corp world with a 20 something, former D1 athlete. She includes an F bomb in casual conversation on occasion.

Now get off my lawn.

2 Likes

I find language (evolving or devolving) depending on the media I view. It’s fascinating. Yet all the while I wonder if this is how it’s always been on some level. If you haven’t seen the show Deadwood (about ten years old now) I highly recommend it. The language they have the actors use is so different from what Westerns typically show. It’s really rough, but I imagine that’s how it likely was.

2 Likes

Amen brother, I am one of those senior fans.

Well there were at least 3 instances. Hey, I am not the one upset by it. I was in the stands explaining to others that hockey and football coaches often curse during games but no one can hear it as they are more isolated from the fans. Even most of the time college basketball coaches are protected by some distance from the fans and all the noice. I coached in high school and junior high where fans were often right there and it was definitely something to be aware of. There is great pressure on the coaches to win and a lot of emotion involved.

When Shooter posted his rant vs Hawktalk, he also included our coach in his rant. So for Jive to just say there is nothing to see here is just not right.

It is common with 40, 50, and 60-year-olds as well. And if these parents think high school coaches and players aren’t swearing up a storm, go visit a practice.

2 Likes

I can’t believe we’re talking about this lol

11 Likes

I will not say every, but certainly many high school and college coaches have bad language moments. That includes women coaches. I used to be taken back by it 30 or so years ago but not now. The proximity to the crowd or lack there of makes basketball coaches rants more noticeable. In my not so humble opinion this is not a subject worth discussing.

2 Likes

They were upset Steele was treating Miami like it was UCLA. If coaches at Butler didn’t take it seriously they’d still be sitting in the horizon league.

So @DICK, do you want Steele to treat Miami like a program that should win and be a power in college basketball, or should we be content with what has been happening?

Also, if you want all the same “insider info” you can join the field of 68 and support the program. A program that’s so grossly underfunded that at one point they weren’t allowed to use a color printer for recruiting materials. A program that has one of the smallest budgets for recruiting, buy games, player nutrition, and recruiting travel. That’s also part of the reason I couldn’t care less what the people in the crowd say. There’s no way they’re donating like they say they are or the program wouldn’t be in this state.

5 Likes

While we are talking about language of coaches those of us that were in school when Bo was coaching heard every four letter word I thought possible and many more on the sideline - I understand the same from Bill Mallory- I do not care what words Steele uses ( other than racial slurs ) just so we are getting the max efforts from our players on the court- BTW Coach Steele if you and your staff read this site congrats on Saturday"s win and a continuing warm welcome to Miami!

4 Likes

Dick how can I get info re the field of 68?

Yes, also curious about the Field of 68. Am unfamiliar.

1 Like

Classic explicit language locker room speech by the late Mike Leach - delivered to Texas Tech team after a win! He wasn’t talking about candy corn or pirates so don’t listen if you have virgin- or sensitive - ears. Here’s what the kids often hear behind the doors.

1 Like

No trophies for mediocrity!

Leach was a peach.

2 Likes

I sent a private message to @CalOHawk, but I’d recommend reaching out to Carl Richburg. Happy to pass along contact info to the AD so they can reach out to you if you’d like to PM it to me.

1 Like
1 Like

(Threadjack)

“I’m your huckleberry…….Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.”

(End threadjack)

1 Like

Don’t you think the Field of 68 campaign as promoted on the Miami athletic website might be a little bit more effective if we weren’t using an image of an athlete that has left Miami and is now playing for Duquesne?

1 Like

Yes, but I believe that article was from 2020.

2 Likes

Back to thread Jack. That movie line was delivered so well it has stuck with me for years.

1 Like

Well, Adaway’s picture hung above the ticket window at Millett for well over a year after he was gone!!

2 Likes