Indiana State game was a wakeup call

Mixed feelings here…

First, ISU lost essentially everyone during coaching transition including first round NBA pick LaRavia. There was no choice. So far so good. The nice freshman post player is a recruit. And, a several guys are 22 and 23 years old. This will end eventually. Hats off to the ISU patch job. :clap: winning and with true recruits on the floor.

Miami will lose guys, for whatever reason. Some will transfer down. A really good kid will move up. And, Steele will run guys off. Sad but true. These kids are in a business. Help Steele win or get fired. And, if if kid can do better-----like a really supportive school with even a hint of NIL, bye bye Miami. Then what? Hello transfer portal.

I wish i had a point.

Steele said Transfers transfer problems. While maybe true, its here to stay. That being said, I don’t see them combing D2 all Americans looking. More likely to follow the general mid major strategy of trying to get to know and offering some guys that are too good for Miami in case it doesn’t work out at a place like Ohio State etc…

Btw, anyone think Steele wants to stay? He wants to transfer up too. I believe.

In confused conclusion, Miami will have very limited transfers that will replace tranfers. In other words, an older guy for an older guy.

Can Miami make MAC tourney this year? Can Miami be a factor in that tournament next year?

With a mixture of recruits and transfers. Recruits first.

I don’t think there is any doubt Steele wants to move back up. I don’t blame him. And if he does, that means Miami is a winning program again.

5 Likes

I doubt there are many people who care less about basketball than me, at any level. I only follow Miami basketball through this site. But Steele is only 8 games into his tenure and, from what I have seen here he was left with a pretty bare cupboard. I was leery of the hire at first, but it sounds like he is working hard at improving Miami basketball. I don’t think it is time yet to start worrying about this team. Now if at the end of the year there is no improvement that would be the time to worry, but I think at this point he is still trying to get everyone on the same page.

4 Likes

If athletics decline more, so will the caliber of student applying to Miami. As sad as it may be, the athletic prominence at a school has become the gateway to improving/increasing student applications Just look at Alabama as one example. It was never a great school, but it has become very solid over the last 20 years.

3 Likes

ISU leads SIU 39-25 at halftime.

Courvoisier is 0-10 from the floor.

1 Like

Don’t you remember admissions telling everyone that Wally, Damon, or Ben and those successful runs weren’t the reason kids chose Miami? It was the academics and the privilege of being a Miamian

I keep wondering if Travis is wondering what he got himself into. My guess is he didn’t know how bad off this program was. And that might be part of his frustration. Per speculation on my part.

1 Like

I think our reputation as an athletics program with an ambivalent to non-existent fan-base and little student body enthusiasm is steadily growing.

You guys are going to think I’m crazier than a coconut (likely already do) but if I had an extra 2.4mm, I’d create the first paid student attendance program in college athletics. Logic being, why spend giant money NLI style on one player if there are no fans to watch? Here’s how my program works: I give any student up to 400 bucks for free. The only catch is, they have to come to a set amount of home games. My grant will support up to 6,000 students. First come first serve. 2.4mm total. The money is paid in a drip (x amount every x games).

To participate, you download an app that can track your attendance. You must attend at least 1/2 a game to be paid. To me, this makes sense as once the program gets good, the seats will start to fill up and my paid needs will drop from 6k fans to a lower number every year. Now, just need the funds. App is easy to build.

3 Likes

As the current commercial says “Crazy is just crazy until it’s not!”

Id make them stay through the third quarter to to qualify as a game attended. That builds on an old public affairs practice we used to employ for getting students to attend forums and focus groups. The pizza was only served at the conclusion of the event and focus group checks weren’t distributed until the kids walked out at the end of the session. If we served pizza at the traditional lunch break the kids never came back for the afternoon session.

I think your scheme should only apply to football and men’s and women’s basketball initially but could be expanded to other sports as revenues grow and as those teams start have increasing success.

TV would have more to focus on students socializing than on empty seats and that would spark interest on the part of perspective students and athletes - kind of like like the other commercial where Liberty Mutual shows teenagers having fun in the pool with insurance.

3 Likes

2.4mm is a drop in the bucket to someone of high wealth and 400 bucks for doing something fun is good drinking money for a college kid. I honestly think this would work or, put 2.4mm into creating VR fans in the new Millett. Funny thing is, to anyone saying “it’s kinda desperate to have to pay fans to attend” I say “I kinda feel the same about paying players on top of their full rides! But hey, I’m old school. Free books and a meal pass and I thought I’d win the lottery.

2 Likes

Sorry, but initially I interpreted that as you wishing for an extra 2.4 millimeters and thought TMI!

2 Likes

Ha!

s reactions wars GIF

I would be interested to see some multi-year data that supports this claim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/ncaa-applicants/

Winning helps and with losing at some schools, you can see trends of less rapid increases in applications.

“At Oregon, more applications have led to bettering the quality of admitted students, as well as increasing diversity.”

1 Like

You’re over-interpreting and maybe even mis-interpreting the data. What the WaPo article demonstrates is that at some schools a banner year in athletics results in a short-term increase in applications. Other than a stray comment at the end of the article from the vice president for student services and enrollment management at Oregon, the article doesn’t demonstrate any increase in quality or academic standing of incoming classes. That brings us back to the original statement - If athletics decline more, so will the caliber of the student applying to Miami. I’m hard press to see any cause and effect here in the data provided in the article, or even a correlation. Though admittedly an argument from personal incredulity, I find it difficult to imagine that somehow the academic quality of the student body at Northwestern decreased when they were the perennial Big 10 door mat throughout the 70s and 80s, a period which included a 34-game losing streak. Therefore, I rate the claim (using Washington Post fact checker terminology and categories) - If athletics decline more, so will the caliber of the student applying to Miami. - Two Pinocchios

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but the two schools are incomparable in this situation. Not saying that athletics definitively plays a part in academics at Miami, but I’m sure the likelihood is higher at a school like Miami vs. NW

1 Like

Well, outside of a MAC championship in football in 2019, Miami football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball (outside of two Duffy years), and ice hockey have been on “losing streaks” for about a decade, yet the academic profiles of incoming classes over the same time period have stayed steady or increased.

1 Like

Steele knew exactly what he was getting himself into. His brother coaches in the MAC and knew where the program was.

I’m really confused why @DICK and others think where we’re at is anywhere other than what was expected.

4 Likes