Hendrix relationship with player

She should have been terminated last year based on her record, team performance and coaching short comings. Where are we with hockey, baseball and maybe volleyball? The AD needs to get a reality grip on the overall state of athletics at Miami and the Administration and the BOT need to conduct appropriate oversight.

1 Like

This is a bad deal all around. But maybe it’s gonna lead to a better hire. Everyone is paying attention to this program now.

If this hadn’t leaked, I feel like she probably would have been able get another coaching job somewhere else. I understand wanting to protect the athlete and there may have been legal concerns related to educational privacy rights, but I feel like leaving an opening where she potentially could have coached again was a mistake. There are some explanations needed from the administration.

3 Likes

@Quinoaburger This is public information. She’s not going to coach again. There is no open door.

2 Likes

@CalOHawk Volleyball? Seriously? This is a tough crowd.

1 Like

We all know who Hendrix was dating right?..

1 Like

@hawktalk317 I don’t and I don’t think it serves anyone to have that made public. The coach has been taken care of, the kid doesn’t deserve having her name dragged through the mud.

2 Likes

She’s not going to coach again now that it’s public. The university didn’t make any reference to the investigation when they announced the resignation. According to the article, the resignation was contingent on Miami not saying anything negative about her, including to potential employers. This only became public because a university employee (presumably acting alone) leaked it to The Athletic. Based on the article/interview in The Miami Student yesterday, the editor (who seems pretty close to the team) had no clue, so I assume this was something that was kept pretty tight lipped.

@Quinoaburger Thanks for the clarification. Now I see the timeline and see your point.

No. Was that information made available?

No clue.

By the way, I placed a personal comment to The Athletic’s article. I’m a subscriber.

If the information was leaked to The Athletic after the resignation agreement was signed, this could end up costing us more than the $285k buyout.

1 Like

Chris Berge un tough conference

If the Athletic is correctly reporting the terms of her resignation, it restricts (1) how the university responds to inquiries and (2) what Sayler says entirely, whether in response to an inquiry or volunteering. It does not appear to restrict what anyone other than Sayler volunteers.

In any event, I suspect there’s a pretty serious Streisand Effect deterrent to filing a suit that says “you promised me you wouldn’t disparage me, but then someone anonymously–but accurately!–leaked that I was having an inappropriate romantic relationship with one of my players.” That’s the sort of thing that makes news beyond obscure MAC school message boards and a paywalled website.

4 Likes

Her coaching career is completely done at this point and this is going to be an issue for any other job she tries to get (assuming the company does literally any amount of due diligence). Tyler Summitt hasn’t had any employment at all since his scandal broke (although he has family wealth to live on). I’m not sure how much it would cost to litigate, but she could decide that a six figure payout is worth fighting for given her future employment prospects.

1 Like

More bad publicity from The Athletic today.

1 Like

Umm, wait. So, Miami agreed in writing that they wouldn’t discuss Hendrix with any potential employers and then “leaked” the whole thing to the press. Lawyers?

I wouldn’t be spending that Bergeron buyout money just yet. It sounds like Miami got a little too clever for its own good. They thought they could cover this up while parting ways without a buyout. Instead, they’re going to face a pr hit for covering it up and a lawsuit from Hendrix. In fact, I don’t even think the buyout came into consideration since this is a pretty clear case of “with cause termination.” Instead, I think this was all about saving face and avoiding negative publicity. Once again, it’s rarely the crime but often the cover up that does the real damage. Buh-Bye, Saylor. It was nice knowing you.

From The Athletic article today.

So Miami of Ohio didn’t just let Hendrix walk out the door without saying why she was exiting, it agreed not to disclose to potential future employers why she was no longer Miami of Ohio’s coach. Athletic department leadership, faced with credible evidence that the coach was in a relationship with one of her players, decided that the best course of action was to let her walk and, it seems, give her the parting gift of their silence.

The university even ended the investigation of Hendrix when she resigned, because apparently a five-day investigation was long enough to get to the bottom of it all, to find out if anyone else within the school knew about the relationship, to question student-athletes from prior seasons to see if anything like this had occurred before, to understand if the relationship impacted the team dynamic and so much more.

Please.

The university’s response to The Athletic for why it didn’t go public with what Hendrix had done, or at least not agree to stay silent about it when Hendix might be up for another job in coaching, was: “With our student athletes’ well-being at the forefront of our concerns, and to protect their rights to confidentiality under (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), we accepted the Coach’s resignation.”

Please again.

Can’t believe the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton papers haven’t jumped all over this already plus Dayton snd Cincy TV and talk radio. The ghost of Jerry Springer is currently stalking Southwest Ohio. I won’t be surprised if it draws national media attention. And the seemingly apparent coverup is probably going to be more of the focus than the inappropriate relationship. Sad!

I’m an idiot.

So tell me what is the benefit of getting all of that in writing for Hendrix? What is the benefit for Miami in not discussing this with future employers?

Sounds like lawyer stuff

What’s really amazing is the University apparently thought this wouldn’t come out.