First coach named

And I’m not sure why people care…he’s here…I don’t get it, “how did we pay him.”

1 Like

At Cleveland State, Gates was hired in summer 2019 for $285,000 per year and was bumped to $550,000 in 2021. His assistant coaching salary pool for 5 coaches (3 full time) started at $400,000 in 2019 and was bumped to $550,000 in 2021.

It appears Summers was 2nd assistant at Cleveland behind Dru Joyce. I think Summers was making roughly $100k in 2019 and was bumped to roughly $135k in 2021.

2 Likes

This appears to be actual payroll for 2019 for Gates and Summers because they were hired at the end of July.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Hugmeister is a somewhat polarizing figure in hoops, but he always puts a good product on the floor and many of his former players/coaches are on significant coaching staffs today. Coach Summers no doubt learned a lot there as a player.
Also: this is the first 7 footer associated with our program since Chad Allen!

2 Likes

This great hire for many reasons…and one of which is… Ames, you potentially have a mentor!

2 Likes

You’re forgetting the legend John Hawkins.

3 Likes

The late Bill Lake was listed at 6-11 but was actually slightly taller. Bill was fortunate enough to win a National Championship (with NC State). Good guy.

3 Likes

Was John from Charlie’s era? I am totally spacing on his name/game

did anyone hear hawktalk last night? curious if any significant info from Coach Steele was said. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

The audio didn’t work during Coach Steele’s interview, so not sure if he had anything important to say. Not much from David Sayler either. Just talked about the coaching hiring process.

Just as an fyi, All episodes of hawktalk are archived on the Miami Athletics Facebook page.

Welcome to Oxford, Coach Summers!

Also, excellent photoshop skills by the athletic department!

6 Likes

audio didn’t work?

Just checked on Facebook…no audio on the replay. 20 minutes of silence for the interview with Coach Steele. It did start working for Carolyn Condit.

Subject to “audio out”…

I believe they tore down the old restaurant and it reopened in a new building on the same site 1-2 years later as the first floor (unsurprisingly with apartments above). I recall it being pretty meh, I was way more into the Indian food over at Krishna.

On topic, this seems like a solid hire. Dennis Gates was able to turn around Cleveland State very quickly from loser to contender, that speaks well to him and the CSU staff.

Does anyone find it concerning that he isnt in Missouri with coach Gates

No. Not everyone is going for the biggest job. His family and connections are all in Ohio.

1 Like

I have no concerns until I give them a fair chance to coach and recruit…and there’s a reason to be concerned.

So far all we seen is Miami in on solid transfers and actual media coverage…seems like an improvement already.

My only concern is that he’s likely better as a player than half our current roster!