Do we have NIL collectives/boosters?

He’s a Sandy Creek, Georgia kid and his mom has health issues. They were at every away game I attended this season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at GT or Auburn.

Good insights. It’s crazy to me that Sayler wouldn’t have an appetite for a collective. I don’t see the harm in having one. There’s only upside. The longer we wait, the bigger competitive disadvantage we face.

Short sighted ADs (not saying DS is) are terrified NIL will dilute their donor pool. That’s why a diversified revenue model is a must to draw from multiple sources. Donor fatigue is setting in for collectives that are a couple yrs old and dependent on donors vs endorsements, merch, media, events, etc.

1 Like

I recall this being a distinct hurdle, within the university development group, for athletic specific fundraising. I think bates wasn’t able to overcome it but I guess sayler has

Correct, Miami seems to currently have nil NIL.

:grimacing:

Merry Christmas!
Just to give you an idea of what’s out there on the portal. This is what the MAC and Miami are competing with. The tight end that graduated at OU has been offered $100,000 for a one year rental at Duke, Iowa State and Texas A&M. Their four starting guard same by similar schools. The guard got a call from Kirby Smart. This is for what are essentially one year rentals. Who do we have in our pool of potential collective donors to compete with this kind of gunk?
By the way this is from a 100% reliable source.

I’m with NESCACDAD on this. I know I’m an old guy yelling at the clouds and all that to all the millenials and Gen x’ers out there. That athletes should get paid for their “work” and a scholarship worth $52 k or more isn’t enough blah, blah , blah. But college athletes jumping ship for $100k or to the highest bidder just isn’t what college sports is supposed to be about. IMHO Ho! Ho! Ho!

2 Likes

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/football/anonymous-donor-gifts-500000-to-country-roads-trust

It was inevitable, and the wild west environment that has arisen is fully the fault of the NCAA and the schools. They had years to put into place some kind of regulated system that allowed athletes the chance to make some money. Instead, they fought any and all changes tooth and nail all the way to the Supreme Court to continue a system that was becoming grossly unfair. There, they were smacked down 9-0 and ended up with a system with no regulations and guardrails.

It sucks that the pendulum has swung all the way to the other extreme, but the fault is not with the athletes, their parents or even the jock-sniffing boosters. It’s with the NCAA, coaches and schools and their insatiable greed coupled with their complete lack of vision and foresight.

Gene Smith and Nick Saban are now leading the charge to get Congress to do something to regulate things, but spare me their tears. Did either one of them say a single word in opposition to the NCAA’s refusal to do anything and all-or-nothing legal strategy? Has either one of them been open to the only real solution and path out of this mess which is making the players employees and giving them a union and a collective bargaining agreement? Until they do, they can shut it.

3 Likes

Mark Packer has been trumpeting a lot of what you argue for several years - going back to his days before he created Off Campus on ESPNU. He squarely blames the NCAA and its member schools for refusing to adopt any system to address this issue and, accordingly, leaving the entire discussion up to the state legislatures and the courts.

As someone about to pay second-semester out-of-state tuition, for a Miami freshman, and a significant number of our athletes are out of state, the number before other incidentals is about 58,000 a year. Not including other special purpose fees. When you add in the other fees, books etc, not including spending money, a full ride scholarship at Miami is approaching 60,000 a year out of state.

I am taking donations!! :grinning:

3 Likes

UNCW baseball has an actual hard cap on out-of- state scholarships for their program because of cost. There are only 7 out-of-state guys on their current 42 man roster. The Seahawks are fortunate North Carolina is loaded with baseball talent. Baseball and men’s hoops are their revenue sports.

The NCAA is frequently blamed for failing to put in policies for so long that the wild west we currently have came into being. I am not sure that’s always fair.

We are seeing with the judicial overturning of the bar on multiple transfers immediately playing that most steps that could/should have been taken face legal issues. The NCAA was aware of this possibility and it contributed to their inertia.

I don’t have a solution but I think the NCAA gets a lot of criticism for problems that are beyond their control.

1 Like

58K? I’m assuming that’s full cost of attendance including room and board. The number that I’m seeing is 37,379 for out of state tuition. That’s high but relatively competitive with OSU and other regional B1G schools other than Purdue.

Purdue 28,794
Ohio State 35,019
Illinois 36,068
Miami 37,379
Wisconsin 38,608
Indiana 40,480
Michigan State 40,562
Michigan 53,232

Of course, the real story is what the net price is, and can Miami compete with the discounts that some of these B1G schools with multi-billion dollar endowments can offer. To me, and as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, the real issue for Miami is how uncompetitive we are on in-state tuition, and how that’s killing us against OSU and maybe increasingly UC.

1 Like

Check out the prices on UNC System campuses. In state tuition is a real bargain. Saves lots of money in terms of athletics scholarships. There is no level playing field anywhere.

With all the money and financial success that Miami troops about with the alumni, you’d figure they’d have something in mind on how to create an manage an NIL fund.

University of Georgia probably has the best single set up for all their funds to go to. As usual, the SEC is ahead of everyone else.

So where’s the Miami alums willing to step up and manage this type of a fund?

Altius is a consulting firm and really doesn’t generate NIL funds. They were just sold and are pivoting a little and “helping” with some branding deals but not who you’d hire to run NIL (they are primarily education for kids and coaches) or a collective. Technically athletic depts can’t hire collectives (yet) or ppl to raise NIL funds. I think that’s coming in 6-8 mo tho.

1 Like

Out of state cost to attend- room, board, tuition, books misc. fees@ approx. $53,000. So if you can afford out of state and you’re paying 33% in local, state and federal taxes which you probably are, you need to make about $80,000 to have $53k left to pay for it all. For mom and dad thats an $80,000 scholarship value. Way more than HALF the people in America make. And they get a fab education. My point would be they’re hardly abused or taken advantage of.

I’m wondering if we ever get to a point - if players are eventually considered employees - where actual university attendance becomes a non-factor. Employees in other university departments aren’t required to enroll and attend classes. They’re just paid to do a job.

Very few Miami students (excluding international students) are paying out of state sticker price. $10k-$20k+ in merit/need aid is fairly normal.

Can reference the net price calculator: Net Price Calculator

Hope not as someone who has 2 daughters. If SAs become employees there may well be unintended consequences for title IX (an educational access issue). This could mean the end of many sports - I could see a time where you have 6 total ICA sports and the rest become intramural / club.

1 Like