Delaware State

Delaware State has replaced James Madison as a home game in 2023. James Madison will now be a home game in 2028. See FBS Schedules for the announcement.

5 Likes

Delaware State lost to Campbell 34-7 a few weeks ago. James Madison thumped #23 Coastal Carolina 47-7 a week later.

Winning 7-8 games next year is now much more likely.

1 Like

Good chance to be 2-2 after our non-conference schedule now.

I want to see 8 regular season wins. 2-2 non-con and 6-2 in the MAC.
P.S. Tell me honestly; Is that asking too much to see Chuck win 8 in 2 years outta 10?

1 Like

Jeez! Delaware State is one of the worst HBCU programs in the country. That should pack the fans into Yager!

Talk about dumbing down an OOC schedule! UMass and Delaware State? The only OOC team with a better than .500 record on next year’s schedule is UC and they’ll be transition to a lot of things - new players, new coach and new conference.

Anything short of 9-3 would be an utter disappointment.

6 Likes

That assumes we find someone to play quarterback. If not, it won’t be a fun season–again. I hope there is some understanding of what the expectation is. More importantly, what happens if expectations aren’t met.
I agree. 9-3 is/must be the goal.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

While we need a QB, I want to be clear that I think there is a place for him. He has talent running the ball. As I posted previously, to ignore that would be a mistake.

1 Like

We’ll find a veteran QB in the portal- I have no doubt about that. More worried about replacing other positions like WR and CB IMO

Listening to Martin’s presser and his comments about Aveon, I would be surprised if Miami is shopping for a veteran QB in the portal. I think that could potentially drive out some guys awaiting their chance in our QB room, including Hesson, Humphries, McLeod and maybe even Aveon.

2 Likes

If some of those guys couldn’t play this year they either aren’t very good or will never get a chance. Wouldn’t blame them for moving.

1 Like

Hopefully Aveon goes to “How to throw a football” camp then….I’ll take the under and we stay at 6-6, 6-7,5-8

1 Like

I would guess Humphries challenges after a full offseason and spring ball, and the others look elsewhere.

But it’s also important to keep in mind kids may enter the portal after the bowl game- I believe Pace and Phelps did that last year

2 Likes

If Aveon does remain QB1, the offense will have to change to a pure read option.

On Monday I was thinking about how if we actually stick with Aveon, we would need to think about moving to an option-heavy offense. That just made me think about Treadwell’s last season. While the option is fun and can be hard to defend, I just can’t really take it seriously after that. I have nightmares about Bucher, Kummer, and Gearing from that year still.

6 Likes

Want to see an innovative offense? Watch Montana State this Saturday when they host William and Mary in the FCS Quarterfinals. The Bobcats frequently put two QB on the field - in the backfield - at the same time. Their trigger guy (Tommy Merlot) is a mobile passer and their other guy (Sean Chambers 6’5 232) will flat out run over you. Chambers has almost 800 yards rushing this season. The snap can go to either QB.

3 Likes

Montana State would beat Miami (OH) by at least 2 TDs…they are that good.

I would guess that might be true. I think the lowest eight MAC teams would lose to about a dozen of the better FCS teams - highly likely losses to this year’s Montana State, Weber State, South Dakota and North Dakota State. Holy Cross already beat one of our six bowl eligible teams - Buffalo.

1 Like

We were looking at 1-3 like pre-2022 when JMU was on the calendar. At least our home opener can be a win and we’ll likely go into MAC play 2-2 considering that UMass is on the schedule.

Boucher gives you nightmares? He won the GoDaddy Bowl! Also, I loved the halftime speech that Cajun assistant coach we had made. Just inspired. I wonder what became of him. Boucher was smart and in many ways reminds me of Brett. That year they went from outhouse to penthouse was one of the best Miami years on record. Mike Hayward was a smart coach.