Defensive backs and penalties

Total disappointment today losing to a 1-3 squad. Where was the cover 2 d in 4th quarter. McKee #2 couldn’t cover their receiver one on one all game!!!

1 Like

McKee had multiple PBUs 1 on 1…

2 Likes

Yes…he actually had several nice plays…just wrong coverage and wrong read by Mckee on last play.

2 Likes

Albeit he had the Int earlier 5’10 162 lbs McKee was totally overmatched vs 6’3 210 lbs Marshall on the game winning TD with less than a minute remaining. They brought in N Johnson 6’2 200 lbs. via the portal from the American Conference who had significant reps against Power Five non conference opponents as well. Have to think he makes a better contest of that TD with his size at the least.

assuming you mean the last TD

did mckee get run over by marshall or whiff because he was out of position on that play? if it’s the latter, i’m not sure size matters. i think mckee showed his stature didn’t matter on the pass attemps he did defend well…

1 Like

From my recollection of the game, it looked like McKee probably “bought” the receiver’s fake, tried to close on him and the receiver sped past him into the open and the Miami defender basically got turned by the fake and was left chasing his opponent.

3 Likes

You have to know the down, distance, situation. He had no help over the top. Has to keep everything in front of him. Concede the short pass, make the tackle.

I rewatched it yesterday and what you described is exactly what happened.

1 Like

so out of position but didn’t whiff on the tackle…net, not sure size fixes this…

and also have to believe there is a reason that the kid from ECU is 2nd string…

2 Likes

These dbacks are all weak. Ou showed ya

Never play any press.

It seems like the defensive strategy the past couple seasons has been to shut down the run and play soft coverage in the secondary to force teams to complete a bunch of passes underneath. That’s a great strategy against most of the teams we face, but when we do go up against a QB that can pass the ball (Rourke, Crum, Levis, etc.), the whole system falls apart.

Tonight was more about missed tackles and not making plays. This may have been the worst game Saunders played. A really poor angle led to a TD when the play should’ve gone for 5 yards. Then the one over his thread that he didn’t really challenge. And the TD, he was in good position but didn’t make a play. Defensively, probably our worst tackling effort of the year, but being out there for twice as many plays as the OU defense had something to do with it too.

3 Likes

I guess the DB’s are to blame 10-7 @ half. How about questioning Coaching. Had a chance to get the ball back before halftime, but only uses 1 of 3 timeouts not giving our Offense a chance. OU comes out 2nd half & runs the ball down our throats, I guess that was the DB’s fault. We go from 7-7 to 17-7. Played catch-up the rest of the way.

1 Like