Dayton/Xavier football rivalries

Danny was the primary target for Archie Manning while both played for the Saints. At that time, they played in the old Tulane Stadium (Sugar Bowl). Danny was definitely a fan favorite in New Orleans.

1 Like

Some good stuff…

1 Like

I looked at the apparel on the website and look what I found

1 Like

I remember going to one game there but it was when they played another now defunct team - the Quantico Marines.

1 Like

If you go back a long way, pretty sure you will see Miami played the Marines too!

The first game I saw my freshman year-the Quantico Marines. I saw almost every game against X and Dayton during my stay in Oxford. Our “group” went to X one year in sport coats and ties. About 20 or so guys. Glad we won. I remember Dayton being huge on the O line.

2 Likes

I wonder what huge was - probably like 240 pounds right?

3 Likes

I’ve got the program from the first game I ever attended at Miami Field - in 1966. The biggest guy on our roster was an offensive lineman who was 6’3 and weighed 238. We only had three players from outside Ohio.

Yep. Bo wanted our line backers to gain weight. They were only 180/190. He felt Dayton would destroy them. They didn’t/couldn’t bulk up though they tried. Miami still won.

As a bonus to me, I got lots of leftovers and bulked up from 127 to 135 and have not looked back since then.

4 Likes

In the 60s, “huge” was 6’8” 280s linemen or 6’6” 250s TEs like a few friends of my dad’s who were NFL players. (some went to P5, G5, and even D3 back then and still went to NFL)

1 Like

Not “athletic scholarships”….

“Athletic Supporters”

1 Like