College Football Landscape Earthquake

The MAC should invite Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State to join as temporary affiliate members for football only until they can poach MWC teams without the $32 million per school buyout. I think that is 2026.

3 Likes

Genius! Even if they know they won’t accept it’s a great PR move. Love this.

4 Likes

Honestly, from a research sharing standpoint, which is what the Big10 claims to be the reason as to why it exists, Berkeley and Stanford should get invites. If memory serves me, U if Chicago is still part of the Big10 research community. They may not play the sports but they got the smarts. (Only Nobel Prize winning laureates need apply at their Economics Department)

The San Francisco and Silicon Valley regions are too good to pass up for research and recruiting. It’d also have the Big10 in Cali’s two biggest TV markets.

2 Likes

I got into their school for adult film making. Just sayin’!!

UChicago is indeed still an AAU school. Econ, Booth School for Business and #3 law school in America. They play D3 athletics. .

Welcome to the PAC-4!

2 Likes

Read it, commented, and took the subsequent survey. First time I ever heard Cal and Stanford referred to as “misfit toys.”

1 Like

If they can somehow find 2 additional teams, the conference could change its name it The 6-PAC.

3 Likes

A great movie starring a one Kenneth Rogers! Good to see you back here btw!

2 Likes

Money is the root of all evil…and here we are seeing it play out to what will be its eventual conclusion…the ultimate destruction of a great sport formerly played on the college level.

The quest for more money at every turn has blinded formerly clear-thinking individuals to what they are really doing to themselves.

5 Likes

That would not be a good thing for the MAC as it generates money and exposure. But I fear it is coming as there are already rumblings of matching up P5 schools now on weeknights.

2 Likes

Look eventually things will end up with two Super Conferences: the B10 and the SEC, likely with 24 teams each. Below them will be at least one minor “power conference “ which at this point looks to be the B12. But that too is fluid. Some teams currently in power conferences may be left out in the cold. Streaming services will continue to expand into showing college FB but will remain secondary to the big two currently pulling the strings: ESPN and Fox. Make no mistake every single conference realignment move being done right now is getting vetted to ESPN and Fox. The NCAA will be gone. Where all this leaves the G5 conferences I don’t know. We likely will see some realignment of them as well, especially the AAC. Maybe they pick up some of those left out in the cold former power 5 schools. There is already some talk the AAC could take in some or all of the remaining 4 PAC 10 schools. G5 games may be entirely relegated to streaming services. The next domino after that may be the NCAA BB tournament. We shall see. Nostradamus has spoken!

1 Like

Didn’t you spend one season as a grad student there performing as the Dancing Tree?

2 Likes

Mike Farrell has an interesting take on this and said this whole mess (he said greed) might have started with the Longhorn Network.

Now for some levity:

https://twitter.com/thorku/status/1687595413233147904?s=20

1 Like

Maybe the NCAA will actually shepard the G5 schools after they get up off of their knees…

1 Like

Just make the P5 no longer not for profit instututions because they no longer are “not for profit.” Let them pay big taxes. :grinning:

3 Likes

Agree, they are typically one of the best overall men’s and women’s sports schools in the nation each year and add in the great academics with tons of $$$$$, you would think they would be high on a list. It is absolutely crazy they are left out. The only save would be ND and Stanford to Big10.

2 Likes

I would hardly call that a season. I was told I was too dangerous on stage and also that my wardrobe was inappropriate. That was all in week one.

Andy Staples said yesterday that FOX Sports runs Big 10 Conference football now, strongly implying that their CEO is more powerful than the Big 10 Commissioner.

I bet there is some intense back channel communication going on between very important Stanford and Notre Dame people this weekend.

2 Likes