Coaching Staff and Transfer Portal

I hope he comes back as a coach. Body isn’t gonna take any more abuse and he has an excellent football mind. Maybe that’s his path.

2 Likes

Q for Football Recruiting Rules Guys: Do coaches ever gauge the interest of a player who is not playing for another team and ask if they’d like to join and get PT by switching schools? For example, Northwestern has a great (but seldom used) QB in Jack Lausch, a sophomore. Would a coach reach out and say “Hey, check us out and we could plug you in right away!” or is it a rules violation? Lausch would be a great add for Miami, and he’s a Chicago kid, to boot!

I can almost guarantee it happens. At the P5 level, you always hear rumors of guys being offered NIL money to transfer schools. I think it’s against the rules to recruit a kid if he’s not in the portal. But I’m sure that doesn’t stop some coaches. I would be surprised if Chuck was in that group.

1 Like

Coaches, staff are not allowed to contact players on other teams. The work around is usually contacting players high school coach. Then the high school coach will reach out to player.

1 Like

Chuck mentioned a week or so ago that he has “other schools” contacting his kids about transferring right now.

2 Likes

I hope he gives names. That’s greasy.

I’m sure lots of coaches do it. This is prohibited, however, so are a lot of things.

2 Likes

I agree. I know CM hated the idea of the portal, NIL initially. He’s as Old School as it gets. He works as hard as any coach I know to recruit “good kids”. He will pass on a talented kid if he’s trouble. That’s why he prefers recruiting, bringing them in as freshmen and developing them. That said, now that he’s embraced it… well he’s knocking it out of the park. He’s done as good a job as anyone I can think of. Kudos to him and his staff!

3 Likes

Agree! As a contrasting case study on how not to do it, check out what Poggi has created at Charlotte. He suspended a significant number of his guys for this weekend’s game at Tulsa because of their behavior in last week’s home game with FAU. Chuck is bringing in high quality transfers, not last chance transfers with attitude problems.

1 Like