Buffalo men at Miami 7:00 Tuesday

Bleh.

1 Like

Rats

The Beck illegal screen was a killer - can’t waste that possession late like that. :unamused:

1 Like

6-10 in the league now. Not good enough. Back to 2 over

First time I’ve really seen Beck. He looked good, type of player Miami needs.

Two series hurt big time, before last…when Beck had a putback opportunity…then illegal screen.

Bummer on last look…Defense continues to be main issue, interior presence very close 2nd.

That said UB just makes big tine shots …Lairy did his best to answer.

1 Like

He’s has his moments, but plays smaller than he is…hunches a lot in his play.

At this point with 4 games to go…6-10 in league…9 and 15 overall minus D3.

Not what you expect…in yr 5 or from a coach that’s been extended.

At least games against UB suggest we are not far away with a player or two or better coaching.

Otherwise…there’s no answers as Miami does not seem to care about being good in bball.

I thought this was a good game. Both teams made plays and did some really good things. Kamari Williams may have saved this game from being a blowout with the energy he brought in the 1st half. Beck followed right after with his strong post play. We were only outrebounded by 2 and offensive rebounds were dead even. And that was with a foul plagued Ayah and a banged up Brown. Offensively, we did a good job attacking the paint and not settling. We got to the foul line a fair amount as well. It looked like point guard play might be the difference, but Lairy’s last 8 minutes gave us a chance to win.

The difference was probably the starts to both halves. It’s hard to win when you fall behind 21-7 at the start and give up the 1st 7 points of the 2nd half. When we called timeout after going down 12 right after halftime, it was nice to see Coach get animated and implement some consequences for poor play. though Avance would’ve gotten off the bench before ICL in the 2nd half for me. And at the end, we couldn’t get away with having to play Williams, Beck, and McNamara at the end. Too many 2nd chance opportunities at the end. Lastly, Buffalo’s big 3 of Mballa, Williams, and Segu will get theirs. You can’t give up a 4th scorer. Skogman filled that role with a double double of his own.

I still think we’re trending in the right direction. We’ve got Central on Thursday at home. Keep bringing the energy guys. If you do, you’ll win.

3 Likes

I’m not saying we’re going to win the MAC Tournament. In fact, I don’t think we will even get past the first round. But we’ve shown we can hang with the top of the conference on occasion. Close loss to Toledo at home. Ohio has dominated us for the most part, though we made things uncomfortable for them a bit at their place. We beat UB on the road and nearly swept them. Akron and Kent kind of disprove my claim, however. All in all, this season has been a disappointment. Hoping for some March magic, though that seems unlikely. Was 2010 the last time we made it as far as the semis?

I’m hoping for magic but would be ok with a change. We as fans deserve to see wins.

Maja White for sure and Dalonte Brown maybe had no business starting the second half. We were terrible starting the game and quickly got down 21-7. ICL was pretty worthless as well. The game changed and we got right back in because of the play of Kamari Williams and James Beck. How bad was our starting lineup? White played 10 minutes and his plus minus was -20. Brown, who was unable to move quickly or get up off his feet, played half the game and was a -14. Avance was also much better the Coleman Lands at point guard.

I got really disgusted when he started White and Brown in the second half and brought in ICL ahead of Avance. So we quickly got down 12 in the second half in about 2 minutes. Then coach put in the guys who brought us back in the first half and they played well again and Lairy and Grant got it going, so some of the best basketball we have played since Brown’s injury came with Beck and Williams and Lairy and Grant all playing really well. White was just totally overmatched against Jeenathan Williams while Kamari is the same size and length and build and matched up very well, just as he did when we beat them at UB. Had Coach O actually started the guys whose play showed they deserved to start in the second half, I think we would have won the game. White simply is not good enough to start at this level. Period. Brown certainly is, but he is very limited right now and Beck had far and away his best game all year. Williams had 10 rebounds in the first half! And ended up with a double double, but no we have to play White to start each half with his -20 contribution.

3 Likes

Agreed Dick, White is a situational defense player only…when ICL cranked two treys in a row…you could tell those lost possessions would hurt…

Anyway…is what is…500k to average 13 wins…let’s hand out some trophy :trophy:

From here on out I would give more minutes to Avance and Williams (less minutes to White -ICL) and play Beck over Eli.

Harrison still looks like he needs more improvement to play more

2 Likes

Miami men’s sports teams have perfected the ART of close losses.

Eh, 3-4 in games decided by 3 points or less. Not great, but not like they haven’t won any close ones this season.

What’s especially frustrating is this has been evident for over a month.

Owens is a nice guy to a fault, I’m afraid.

1 Like