Bowling Green

Free basketball.

1 Like

The last possession of regulation and in overtime just terrible offense. Come on Coaches- get them into on offense

That missed out of bounds call in OT that they didn’t review is turning out to be huge.

1 Like

It seems like, for better and often for worse, we’re basically the archetypal 14 seed that nobody wants to get drawn against in the tournament.

Where’s muhoopsjunkie when Miami needed him? He’d light up on the refs!

Even Junkie can’t stop 500 from happening…is what it is…

Ohio U has beaten Akron and Kent to start season…Miami just does not have “it”… coaching or players to string it together.

The CBI tournament? We arent close to be tough enough to win 3 straight in Cleveland

1 Like

Lets see. Up 9 at the half and lose in OT to a mediocre MAC team. So us!

1 Like

Shot 44 Treys!!!..and lost.

Unreal, pathetic offense…Dalonte Brown 16 treys…way to reduce yourself to that.

1 Like

Correct. Incompetent officiating in the second half to say the least.

2 Likes

I’ve been critical of this team at times this year, but can we not overreact here? We lost in OT on the road after not having played in 10 days. Yes, it’s disappointing, but it’s not like losing to Bellarmine at home. Yes, we took 44 treys, but we hit 15 of them. We’re a guard-heavy team; this is how we need to play. We’re not going to be posting up and scoring a lot inside. We were +1 on the glass, and while 13 TOs isn’t great, it’s not terrible. Tuesday against UT will be a good measuring stick.

1 Like

I guess I’m not as frustrated with this loss. Indiana St. and Bellarmine were frustrating losses to me. While obviously we could’ve played better in the 2nd half and overtime, BG played much better and took advantage of some things. I’m not sure BG did this on purpose, but Diggs didn’t play much in the 2nd half and he’s one of their worst defenders. Then Metheny got hurt, who’s arguably one of their worst defenders, and got replaced by Gordon, who did a nice job for them, was much more effective at both ends. Gordon and Turner got a lot of minutes off the bench and they were really effective. The other advantage was Reece, who bullied Beck and McNamara in the middle of the 2nd half. That stretch where he did everything and we turned the ball over was the difference in the game. We don’t have consistently reliable depth at the 4/5 spot. Williams must be sick as he didn’t play.

Offensively, 13 turnovers are too many, but most of them were trying to share the ball. We were too unselfish at times, including the last possession. We ran one of our base sets, getting Grant the dribble handoff at the foul line. Ayah was covered on the roll that demolished Buffalo, so he made the right play by reversing to Brown. Brown made the correct first move, shot faking and dribbling toward the basket. He could’ve either taken it all the way or gone for the step back jumper, he was free. Instead, he made the wrong move by passing to Lairy in the corner, which caught us in poor floor spacing and we turned it over. I think the play call was good, Brown needed to be more aggressive. I think the only criticism offensively is that we weren’t as aggressive going to the basket after halftime, settling for too many 3s. But how much of that was tired legs after presumably being under the weather. Also, after halftime, offensive rebounds flipped: BG 9, Miami 3.

We split 2 road games to open up MAC play against 2 teams that will likely finish in the top half of the league. In the golf standings: Miami -1, BG E. IMO, the last 2 games were an improvement from what we saw in December so let’s see if we can keep getting better.

2 Likes

Not sure this team deserves that many words…

2 Likes

This team has to decide if they are contenders or pretenders. That goes for coaches as well.

Hard to keep caring. Just feels like Charlie Brown and the football instead it’s a basketball.

1 Like

How many more years of Owens?

A brief respite w a bowl win in football that we could all enjoy…now back to our frustratingly inconsistent hoops team along with yet another dismal hockey season in progress. Sigh.

2 Likes

The hockey team is way more frustrating than all this. Because we used to be #1. Because we did support the team with a great new facility and joined a new conference. We should be mad because in that case, Miami actually did try to do right.

3 Likes

Let’s just get it out of the way. Refs were terrible. Second half was atrocious on the part of the stripes. I think they called 10 straight fouls on Miami. That being said, Miami continues the same sad story. Sloppy passing, at times, non existent defense, poor ball handling, and shot selection we shouldn’t be seeing from the most veteran laden team we have had in years. I know, someone will say “well the percentage of threes we made were like shooting 50% from inside the line”. I don’t care. That horrific shot selection let BG back into the game, and ultimately win the game. BG shot less than half the threes we did and won the game. And they are not a very good team. Nor are we. Brown with fadeaway three after fadeaway three, threes without passing the ball, threes with hands in his face. That was not good basketball. I said to someone during the game, Plowden’s BB IQ is so much higher than Dalonte. They play the same position and are the same size. Plowden shoots threes, but he takes them within the flow of the offense. Other times he shoots mid range, he goes to the rim. It was night and day comparing those two. I don’t know if this was our coaching game plan or poor adjustments, or a team that doesn’t listen to the coach, But Owens and his staff weren’t good yesterday, or many other games this year. And when we did share the ball, as MZ says above, the decisions were the wrong ones. One place where I differ from MZ, and his assessment as usual is pretty spot on, is I am tired of the “we had tired legs” argument. Actually we had our full compliment of guards against BG plus one as Avance played as well. I can however only assume Harrison and Kamari were recovering from illness and were “emergency” only type players as neither played. If not, then it was coaching malpractice to leave them on the bench. They need to play. If we were going to make a run, have that “special” year, this was should have been it. Unfortunately this just feels like the same old Miami. .500 at best.

2 Likes

YellowNumber makes a good point about our hockey program…it’s nothing like hoops where we have an outdated facility and seemingly little support at time from the administration. In hockey we built one of the nation’s best college arenas and got financial support from past Miami luminaries now in the NHL, and find ourselves not just a .500 type team , but one of the nation’s worst teams.

2 Likes